Strategy to control Air pollution in Delhi
Way Forward :-
1. Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate change has to take lead role and should work very closely as single window solution provider to this issue with state Government , Municipal Corporation and pollution control board to tackle this problem for a logical conclusion forgetting political differences for the best health interest of citizens of Delhi specially children.
2. Redefining Migration policy to Delhi for a specific time, Redefine Surface transportation system, redefining the usage of Fossil fuel in Thermal Power station and Flue gas quality/ emission level.
3. Promoting Agriculture and enhancing income of Farmers by productive farming, Developing Schools , hospitals , Factories , Surface transportation systems and Internet Communication system to make developed Villages as an alternative place for outsiders to stay with a regular income source so that migration to Delhi from surrounding areas and states can be prevented on a permanent basis.(Places like - Gurgaon and Noida ) to reduce human load to Delhi.
4. Improving the Public transportation by numbers, coverage, cost and timing for easy commuting so that people use this facility as main source of transportation by limited use of personal vehicles or use of personal vehicle only in emergencies.
5. Focus should be given to the expansion Metro Railway network, Electric Traction system to supplement Public transportation system.
6. Phasing out old Diesel /Petrol vehicle as per Government Pollution rules ruthlessly.
7. Develop By -cycle tracks and promoting the use of By-cycle for short distance coverage with a control management system to save time for quick coverage from Metro Stations to the Office blocks in specific locations for willing users on daily basis .
8. Renovating old Thermal Power plants with incorporation of Pollution Control equipments to separate out Methane ( CH4) , Sulpher Di –Oxide ( SO2) , Nitrous Oxide (NOX) , Hydrogen Chloride and Di- Oxine during power Generation process in stages and discharges only pure steam to the atmosphere from the chimney with adequate height depending on terrain.
9. Promoting Renewable Energy Source (Wind, Solar, Nuclear and Waste to Energy power plants) with proven technology collaboration to minimize Fossil Fuel usages in Thermal Power Plant.
10. Solid Waste Management system to generate power from solid waste to promote cleanliness.
11. Ban on burning on Solid waste, Trash, Parali etc which can affect clean atmosphere.
12. Development of Greenery by Tree Plantation, grass covering and Sanitary landfill systems
The above Twelve point program is useful but has to be executed in a well planned manner with seriousness by jointly Central Government, State Government and Local bodies with sincerity and sound management system with the help and cooperation of Delhi people and societies for health safety.
Current Odd and Even system, Water sprinkling, stoppage of civil construction are not the solution at all. more
All said n done, but the ground reality we cannot ignore. We think we are progressing, but it is horizontal line progress only.
Simply any hypothesis can give some hypothesis n reasoning ,but than what our experts , industrialists n scientist, economists have done in the name of globalisation?
We only brought automobile manufacturers ignoring public transport system improvement with rise in population, urbanisation we never thought about the problems n threats this will pose to the environment. Any standards of Air quality may not be enough to bring down the pollution. Greenhouse effects are a different reason besides what is at present Delhi region is facing
We may talk a lot ideologically, but what is needed at the ground level is like getting some addicted person to make him destruction . Means stop use of personal vehicles , use public transport.
The other contributors are industries, unauthorised manufacturing practices using spurious fuel. Like industrial waste solvents, hydrocarbons.
Any short term measures are like doing patch work. We have no long term plan. It seems there is no will at all.
Speed has ruined our social- economic and environment balance.
I don't see any concern among the citizens at all. more
Please be cautious, Benzine/electric vehicles have a higher output of ultrafine nanoparticles which are more harmful than the "bigger" diesel particles. more
But we have a long way to go to reach this point ... more
Yes on a single day number of vehicles on the road if controlled can have it's definite effect. Now again coming back to the fuel quality, the engine oils used in every vehicle are also major cause of pollution, besides vehicles engine conditions. How many are getting done overhauling of their engines, exhaust pipes. Unless like UK we have MOT centres across the city n periodically compulsory checking of each vehicle we cannot have perfect engines complying with EPA norms. Regarding the public transport system , there are hundreds of citizen feels below dignity to make use of public transport
I have also suggested to install urea tanks in all heavy vehicles , n also discourage vehicle manufacturers to gradually cut down production of diesel driven engines. Diesel prices must be raised n no subsidies diesel to be sold.
Sometime back also supreme court banned use of Petroleum coke. But there are technologies where all industries who use petroleum coke can also control emission of obnoxious gases.by changing n modifying the stack adding a scavenger which scrubs majority of pollutants like , co.co2, SO2,SO3 gases. Those details cannot be mentioned here just in brief.
Jai Hind more