Re registration of 15+ years old vehicles

What is the legal position on re registration of more than 15 years old vehicles.
Is it compulsory to re register the vehicle after 15 years in case there is no plan to use it?
If the vehicle is not fit to use, what is the procedure to declare it unfit?
Will be thankful for guidance on the subject. more  

View all 16 comments Below 16 comments
Thank u sir. I'll try to get the answers to my doubts. Regards. more  
To answer the question Mr.Jagannatha Rao, please google or read the Gazette if you have the patience and inclination. Also read more  
As I gather, as per present system in vogue a new motor vehicle is registered for life at the time of purchase, which is meant for 15 years from the date of registration. It could be verified from the relative registration documents where the period of validity of the registration is also mentioned. If one is interested to continue the use of the vehicle, he has to get it re-registered by paying additional road tax & registration fee, as specified in the relative laws on completion of certain other formalities. But according to me, in case any owner is not interested to continue the use of the vehicle after its normal life span (15 years) and/or the vehicle becomes condemned, no action need be taken as the registration automatically becomes lapsed but as a precaution it is advisable to inform the concerned RTA that the specific vehicle has completed its normal life span and has since been scrapped so that the said Registration No. can't be put into misuse by the miscreants/anti socials and even if it is put into misuse, no liability could be fixed on the owner concerned. more  
In Pune R T O the system is available on "On Line" mode and is very friendly to follow. more  
Each state have their own set of rules. It is better to visit the RTO where your car is registered and speak to the concerned officer.
Note: Please avoid the agents / touts who are ready to pounce on you as you visit RTO. more  
Post a Comment

Related Posts

    • Request your help and wealth of knowledge on Legal Matters

      I filed a SLP in the year 2015 before the Hon'ble Supreme Court of India against at Criminal Petition which was against me. The SLP was filed by me online as party in person. I was infor...

      By Anil Kumar Singh
    • Received a fake INR 2000 Currency from HDFC Bank ATM

      Dear All, after shifting to Mumbai temporarily in March, I received a fake INR 2000 currency note from an HDFC bank ATM in the Govandi area in Mumbai on May 1, 2019. I realized about it after 3-4 ...

      By Kunwar Rajeev Singh
    • M/ CEO issued a NBW by Secunderabad Criminal Courts for offences Punishable U/s.420

      Dear Readers and leagal experts, A case has been filed in the local magistrates court at Secunderabad against M/s.Shopclues.Com for offences punishable under section 420 for cheating. I had p...

      By Anil Kumar Singh
    • can a appeal be file again against order of if the case is dismissed again by Hon'ble Supreme court?

      Sir, A Complaint case was filed by a women against an advocate praticing at Tis Hazari court in 2015 after 21 months of the incident happened in 2013. Police filed FIR and advocate filed a Complain...

      By Iqbal Singh
    • Indian Legal System

      Need urgent advise from all my respected legal eagle friends in this group regarding the following: 1) Can a judge of the HC admit a case simply on the basis of it being a matter of an e...

    • Motor Insurance Renewal w/o my knowledge by new owner under my name

      I sold my car in Jan 2017 to a dealership in Noida Sector-8 for an exchange value when buying a new vehicle. After 2.9 years of this transaction, I received a motor insurance certificate at my addr...

      By Akhil P Walia
    • Need help/Suggestion

      I am buying a running restaurant from individual. Paying him a heavy refundable deposit and also a small amount every month as royalty for the business. Shop owner is different with whom I will do ...

      By Ashutosh Jajodia
    • Consumer protection

      Rs. 875/- paid to for Airtel postpaid bill on 08th sept.2019 has not been credited by Biller resulting in default requiring another payment if Rs.875/- ?? Amazon need to compensate ...

      By Surrender Singal
    • Advocate help required in NCDRC against builder jaypee.

      Advocate required for fighting case in NCDRC against jaypee builder on behalf of association for a very clear case of deficiency in service and extortion in the name of maintenance charges. We have...

      By Pravesh Saini
    • Legal Advice on Property BuyBack Agreement & Mou

      Hi, Would anyone here will be able to help with the draft or guidance on property buyback agreement & mou offered by a real estate developer to an investor. Thanks

      By Anonymous Circle member
Share To
Enter your email & mobile number and we will send you the instructions

Note - The email can sometime gets delivered to the spam folder, so the instruction will be send to your mobile as well

Please select a Circle that you want people to invite to.
Invite to
(Maximum 500 email ids allowed.)