New Housing Society's Mafia action

Hi, I have a shop in Mumbai in a new building which after quite a long period of time could manage to form the Society. However, without forming Society the Adhoc committee had been charging the maintenance and I had been paying. Subsequently the Committee members changed, bank accounts also changed without any notice or info. So stopped paying rent. After more than a year or so, the Committee members stopped to allow the usage of toilet to the shop owners. The Committee members were not available to even talk. Finally, recently when they formed the society, they are asking for the maintenance since past few years although property tax and other similar taxes were paid by the show owners themselves. Now, since Society has got registered, the members are threatening to not to issue the Share Certificates which is crucial for everyone. Is it legal to ask for past period without providing any service. Appreciate if can get right guidance to take action because I was genuinely willing to pay but never got any response from the committee members and never received any kind of service. So now I am not willing to pay for the past. Please advise. more  

I agree with Anil Sharma. No need to pay for the past when the society was not in existence more  
Never initiate action at the impotent Registrar's office. Let the other side i.e. the Managing Committee approach him. Nothing is going to happen if you do not pay up. Respond only when required to. Remember this principle.

from the manual published by the government:
Housing Society is such type of society where the members of the society stay with their family day and night in each others’ close contact/company. This type of close contact is not found in any other type of society. Therefore it is experienced that the complaints of Housing societies arise out of human nature, behaviour, egoism, anger, greed etc. Therefore provisions made in laws, bye-laws are not sufficient to solve their problems but knowledge of human nature, behavior is necessary.
While taking decisions of day to day working of the Co-operative Society, it is necessary to take decision as per co-operative law, rules and similarly provisions in the bye laws. However while applying meaning in that regard, and while doing development work on the society level, different decisions was taken in various societies and thereby complaints arise.

Subject to the provisions in this Act and the rules, the final authority of authority every society shall vest in the general body of members in general meeting, summoned in such a manner as may be specified in the bye-laws.

If there is any office which is corrupt, not necessarily only by money, it is the Registrar's, right up to the top. The Managing Committee prevails there. The MCS Act is such. The gravest of grave defaults of the Managing Committee are ignored by the Registrar.

Neither the Registrar nor the Govt. wants to take any responsibility for smooth functioning of any society according to the law laid down by itself. This law is used only to harass the individual flat owner / shop owner, who does not have the resources nor the time to fight this corrupt organisation. The common pool of contributions is held by the society from which it can spend, not the member.

Keep your correspondence perfect. Be assured, nothing will happen. Truth does not prevail there. This is my experience for the last decade. more  
Correct please. more  
Society can charge only after it was formed. All the past payments made, the record thereof and the bank accounts balance need to be transferred to the new society formed. They can then charge you only for the interim period in which the payments were not made / collected. They have to prepare the account statements accordingly. If you have borne some expenses on behalf of the society then those can be deducted. All these things need to be discussed.
If they are not ready to discuss then approach the registrar and lodge a complaint. Also send a registered letter to the society of your concerns with a cc to registrar.
Always keep a written record of all the communication with the society. more  
Approach Registrar of Societies. It had power to decide the dispute. more  
Post a Comment

Related Posts

    • Advocate help required in NCDRC against builder jaypee.

      Advocate required for fighting case in NCDRC against jaypee builder on behalf of association for a very clear case of deficiency in service and extortion in the name of maintenance charges. We have...

      By Pravesh Saini
    • Re registration of 15+ years old vehicles

      What is the legal position on re registration of more than 15 years old vehicles. Is it compulsory to re register the vehicle after 15 years in case there is no plan to use it? If the veh...

      By Mustafa P V
    • Legal Advice on Property BuyBack Agreement & Mou

      Hi, Would anyone here will be able to help with the draft or guidance on property buyback agreement & mou offered by a real estate developer to an investor. Thanks

      By Anonymous Circle member
    • Advice needed

      There is one apartment having 5 flat owners . Out of 5 , three flat owners have occupied their flats . Recently , One flat owner on first floor might have given his flat on Rent to three boys as th...

      By Mahen Patle
    • Section IIC in supreme court of India

      Respected members, i have made a complaint to Supreme Court of India and this complaint is forwarded to section IIC. Can anybody explain the meaning of forward complaint to section IIC. W...

      By Iqbal Singh
    • How can I get judgement date from CDRF Shalimar Bagh.

      Plzz suggest me that what is to be done to get judgement from CDRF, Shalimar Bagh, Delhi as after submitting written arguments in January 2017, I am getting only date and dates for oral arguments....

    • Delhi school admission for 11th grade for a student passed 10th in open schooling

      Dear friends, Wanted to check whether a person who passed 10th grade through open schooling system can take the regular schooling admission for 11th in delhi government school. 2. If a person...

      By Anuradha Bhatta

      What precautions are advised for me at the time of selling my old vehicle?. It appears that name change with RTO takes a longer time and in the meanwhile should there be a misuse of the vehicle. Wh...

    • seek protection against a lawyer who controls District court , High court , police, local govt admin

      This is very serious case where a widow of Kargil war veteran, Ex-Teacher got continues harassment, beaten, tortured, threatened, abused and was falsely implicated in various sections 307,324,341,4...

      By Inder Negi
    • Are we ready to face rains in Delhi

      There's illegal structures everywhere and no solutions in sight Sealing process is slow due to less manpower and more opposition from leaders who oppose because opposition has to speak against...

      By Dr. Neelam Nath
Share To
Enter your email & mobile number and we will send you the instructions

Note - The email can sometime gets delivered to the spam folder, so the instruction will be send to your mobile as well

Please select a Circle that you want people to invite to.
Invite to
(Maximum 500 email ids allowed.)