Motor Insurance Renewal w/o my knowledge by new owner under my name

I sold my car in Jan 2017 to a dealership in Noida Sector-8 for an exchange value when buying a new vehicle. After 2.9 years of this transaction, I received a motor insurance certificate at my address for this vehicle where I am the insured. Apparently, the dealer has failed to update the ownership in RTO in spite of providing all the transfer docs. I have the proof of the sale of the old vehicle on their company letterhead. Already contacted the dealer but to no avail. Does this case amount to forgery as dealer executed the policy under my name and without my knowledge? I am thinking to cancel the vehicle registration with RTO, however for this I need file FIR. Can someone tell me what are the relevant Sections of IPC under which this can be done? I think Section 463/464. Thank you. more  

View all 11 comments Below 11 comments
Write a letter addressed to RTO commissioner (where the vehicle is registered) mentioning the details of the transaction (vehicle sale), attach relevant photocopies of the deal available with you. Mention very clearly the date in the letter on which you had handed over the vehicle and that you should not be held liable / responsible for any wrong use of the vehicle or any mishap arising due to its usage. Mark a CC of the letter to the Police commissioner, and the local police station of your residential area. Deliver these letters in person to the addresses and obtain a receipt signature on your copy.

They will do the needful and you will be safe from judicial process (in case the vehicle is involved in any mishap).

Before doing all this make sure that you check on the Vaahan site (internet or mobile App) that the vehicle is still registered on your name at the RTO.
Sometimes the vehicle ownership is changed but the new owner forgets to inform the insurance company and simply keeps on renewing the insurance. more  
Please send a letter to RTO and insurance company with copies of sale of proof of old vehicle, send letter to dealer that you are not owner of the old vehicle from the date of sale of old vehicle and ask him to take corrective actions and inform police accordingly. more  
Read as Xerox copy of the policy more  
Directly visit RTO office and explain and be guided by them.
Write letter to IRDA enclosing a Xerox copy of the and detail them. This will also help you. more  
Just send a copy of sell letter to concerned RTO and keep the proof of delivery. Rest all will be done by RTO. Once you inform RTO that you have sold the vehicle, then purchaser is liable for all the actons. Further as suggested, take refund of policy by surrendering it. more  
Post a Comment

Related Posts

    • Request your help and wealth of knowledge on Legal Matters

      I filed a SLP in the year 2015 before the Hon'ble Supreme Court of India against at Criminal Petition which was against me. The SLP was filed by me online as party in person. I was infor...

      By Anil Kumar Singh
    • Received a fake INR 2000 Currency from HDFC Bank ATM

      Dear All, after shifting to Mumbai temporarily in March, I received a fake INR 2000 currency note from an HDFC bank ATM in the Govandi area in Mumbai on May 1, 2019. I realized about it after 3-4 ...

      By Kunwar Rajeev Singh
    • M/ CEO issued a NBW by Secunderabad Criminal Courts for offences Punishable U/s.420

      Dear Readers and leagal experts, A case has been filed in the local magistrates court at Secunderabad against M/s.Shopclues.Com for offences punishable under section 420 for cheating. I had p...

      By Anil Kumar Singh
    • can a appeal be file again against order of if the case is dismissed again by Hon'ble Supreme court?

      Sir, A Complaint case was filed by a women against an advocate praticing at Tis Hazari court in 2015 after 21 months of the incident happened in 2013. Police filed FIR and advocate filed a Complain...

      By Iqbal Singh
    • Indian Legal System

      Need urgent advise from all my respected legal eagle friends in this group regarding the following: 1) Can a judge of the HC admit a case simply on the basis of it being a matter of an e...

    • Need help/Suggestion

      I am buying a running restaurant from individual. Paying him a heavy refundable deposit and also a small amount every month as royalty for the business. Shop owner is different with whom I will do ...

      By Ashutosh Jajodia
    • Consumer protection

      Rs. 875/- paid to for Airtel postpaid bill on 08th sept.2019 has not been credited by Biller resulting in default requiring another payment if Rs.875/- ?? Amazon need to compensate ...

      By Surrender Singal
    • Advocate help required in NCDRC against builder jaypee.

      Advocate required for fighting case in NCDRC against jaypee builder on behalf of association for a very clear case of deficiency in service and extortion in the name of maintenance charges. We have...

      By Pravesh Saini
    • Re registration of 15+ years old vehicles

      What is the legal position on re registration of more than 15 years old vehicles. Is it compulsory to re register the vehicle after 15 years in case there is no plan to use it? If the veh...

      By Mustafa P V
    • Legal Advice on Property BuyBack Agreement & Mou

      Hi, Would anyone here will be able to help with the draft or guidance on property buyback agreement & mou offered by a real estate developer to an investor. Thanks

      By Anonymous Circle member
Share To
Enter your email & mobile number and we will send you the instructions

Note - The email can sometime gets delivered to the spam folder, so the instruction will be send to your mobile as well

Please select a Circle that you want people to invite to.
Invite to
(Maximum 500 email ids allowed.)