CC/OD Repayment

My brother in law suddenly expired by Heart Attack before two and half month. We came know that he took CC/OD from private bank for business on property [ House ]
Wife has no other source of income and has no cash accruals. What kind of action can be taken with bank so as to have reasonable time frame to liquidate house for repayment bank dues.
Is there any special facilities for such kind of widow from central government?
Is there any kind of law to weave off interest on principle amount?
Any further suggestion to combat such situation protecting widow's interest. more  

View all 16 comments Below 16 comments
I presume that the deceased was running a sole proprietorship firm; If you peruse the bank agreement under which the bank has provided the credit, you will observe that it covers the successors also of the borrowers --- in that perspective she might be required to pay off the loan/overdraft outstandings; well, since the credit has been availed for business purpose, the recovery can be done normally through the business income; if the business is running successfully then there is no issue, the wife, if she gets charge of the business, she can avail of the credit in her own name; since cc/od is availed with a view to meet the day-to-day expenses of the business (working capital), the lady can meet the bankers and explain the situation to the bank and get their concurrence for the same after due documentation; it depends upon the lady whether she wants to continue with the business or dispose it off; if she prefers to sell of the business, then she can repay the cc/od outstandings out of the sale proceeds of the business; however, she has to obtain the bank's concurrence for the sale; in that case, i suggest that, the lady can go in for a one time settlement of the dues -- and if there any default interest or charges levied by the bank, she can request for a waiver; some experts are of the opinion that "If an individual dies while still owing money on a secured loan, such as a mortgage, the executor of the deceased’s will or his next of kin must inform the lender of the death and provide it with a copy of the deceased’s death certificate. Once the asset is assigned to a friend or family member by the executor, that individual is responsible for paying off the loan.

If the deceased has no loved ones willing to take possession of the asset and the accompanying loan obligation, the lender has the right to seize the collateral due to nonpayment. A lender cannot, however, force the deceased’s next of kin to pay off the debt. "

the ideal thing for the lady to do is to first negotiate with the bank for a waiver of penal interests and charges and re-work the outstandings and settle it; alternatively the lady can take up and run the business, in that event the outstandings need to be transferred in her name; What I have seen is that some unscrupulous legal advisers promise easy terms of settlement for a fee, I suggest to you not to fall for such ploys; more  
Normally, banks insist on an insurance cover in such cases. Please find out if any insurance premium was being deducted from your BIL's account or whether the bank has such a policy. more  
Unfortunately the challenge will be to manage the business in your BIL's absence ... that'll be the immediate crises to ensure that it does not collapse ...
If the Business is managed OK, the Bank will not foreclose the Loan, so there is no urgency for repayment.
If the business has collapsed, its important to salvage what you can from it, before allowing the Bank to enforce the sale of the property ...
You need an expert to represent you / your sister with the Bank ... more  
even rahul gandhi has no solution for this the real solution lies is approaching bank and seek waiver of interest then take fresh loan from PM Yojna which is lower to resolve the issue as per policy for such loan bank take insurance too hope in yr case it has been taken if not certainly lapse from bank then it is their funeral more  
Yes already a common practice is running for taking insurance over loan amount. This is suggested by banks in favour of customer and purchased by borrower. So consult Bank to get insurance claimed and free the papers of p property and all others of any. more  
Post a Comment

Related Posts

    • Motor Insurance Renewal w/o my knowledge by new owner under my name

      I sold my car in Jan 2017 to a dealership in Noida Sector-8 for an exchange value when buying a new vehicle. After 2.9 years of this transaction, I received a motor insurance certificate at my addr...

      By Akhil P Walia


      By Pratik Shah
    • Need help/Suggestion

      I am buying a running restaurant from individual. Paying him a heavy refundable deposit and also a small amount every month as royalty for the business. Shop owner is different with whom I will do ...

      By Ashutosh Jajodia
    • Consumer protection

      Rs. 875/- paid to for Airtel postpaid bill on 08th sept.2019 has not been credited by Biller resulting in default requiring another payment if Rs.875/- ?? Amazon need to compensate ...

      By Surrender Singal
    • Advocate help required in NCDRC against builder jaypee.

      Advocate required for fighting case in NCDRC against jaypee builder on behalf of association for a very clear case of deficiency in service and extortion in the name of maintenance charges. We have...

      By Pravesh Saini
    • Re registration of 15+ years old vehicles

      What is the legal position on re registration of more than 15 years old vehicles. Is it compulsory to re register the vehicle after 15 years in case there is no plan to use it? If the veh...

      By Mustafa P V
    • Legal Advice on Property BuyBack Agreement & Mou

      Hi, Would anyone here will be able to help with the draft or guidance on property buyback agreement & mou offered by a real estate developer to an investor. Thanks

      By Anonymous Circle member
    • Advice needed

      There is one apartment having 5 flat owners . Out of 5 , three flat owners have occupied their flats . Recently , One flat owner on first floor might have given his flat on Rent to three boys as th...

      By Mahen Patle
    • Section IIC in supreme court of India

      Respected members, i have made a complaint to Supreme Court of India and this complaint is forwarded to section IIC. Can anybody explain the meaning of forward complaint to section IIC. W...

      By Iqbal Singh
    • How can I get judgement date from CDRF Shalimar Bagh.

      Plzz suggest me that what is to be done to get judgement from CDRF, Shalimar Bagh, Delhi as after submitting written arguments in January 2017, I am getting only date and dates for oral arguments....

    • Delhi school admission for 11th grade for a student passed 10th in open schooling

      Dear friends, Wanted to check whether a person who passed 10th grade through open schooling system can take the regular schooling admission for 11th in delhi government school. 2. If a person...

      By Anuradha Bhatta
Share To
Enter your email & mobile number and we will send you the instructions

Note - The email can sometime gets delivered to the spam folder, so the instruction will be send to your mobile as well

Please select a Circle that you want people to invite to.
Invite to
(Maximum 500 email ids allowed.)