Below is complaint letter that I intend sending to the PI of Old Goa Police Station. Please let me know if there is anything that I need to add/delete from the below. The opinions of this group will help me a lot in finalizing the contents of the letter.

Devdatta Rivonkar
Flat No: 1Aa, KGEYES Carolinaa
152, Bharani Street, Bharathi Nagar
Velachery, Chennai 600042

Date: 7th September 2015

Shri. Krishna P. Sinari
Police Inspector
Old Goa Police Station
Velha Goa, Goa. 403402

Subject: Complaint dated 21st July 2015 regarding Theft/ Robbery committed and Grievous injuries sustained by my mother - Filing of FIR and enquiry about the progress in investigation in this connection

Dear Sir,

On July 21st 2015, at 7:00 AM, while returning from her morning walk, from Four-Pillars, Panaji towards our house at St. Agostinho Wado, Santa Cruz, my mother was forcefully robbed of her gold mangal-sutra, by two persons riding on a Red colored Pulser motorbike. Both persons were wearing helmets. While the motorbike was driven by one of the robbers, the robber riding pillion forcefully snatched the mangal-sutra. The force with which the mangal-sutra was pulled was so great, that my mother fell to the ground and she sustained a fracture to her right shoulder. This robbery took place at St. Agostinho Wado, Santa Cruz, on the Vasantrao Dempo Marg, near the HDFC ATM in Chaitanya Residency Complex, opposite to Dempo’s house.

A passerby helped my mother reach home and informed my father about the incident. My mother was then taken to GMC Hospital and my father met the police personnel at the GMC Hospital and informed them about the incident. My father accompanied the investigation officer, PSI XXX to the crime scene, where he interrogated a few people around and took my father’s statement. We were told that we will be informed as soon as the robbers are nabbed.

We later came to know that the alleged robbers had come from NH-17 towards Santa Cruz market and there they are made an unsuccessful bid to rob the chain of another lady, who resisted the same and as a result she fell to the ground and sustained face injuries. After this unsuccessful bid, they came up further towards the Santa Cruz junction and took a left turn towards Bambolim. When they noticed my mother, who was returning home from her morning walk, they took a U-turn near Bank of Goa and came back and robbed her mangal-sutra.

From GMC, my mother was moved to Healthway Hospital near People High School, Mala, Panaji. She was operated upon on 25th July and is currently recuperating. The cost of pre-hospitalization, hospitalization and post-hospitalization expenses till date is approximately Rs.1,26,000/-. The cost of the stolen mangal-sutra is close to Rs.1,00,000/-.

On 29th July, we went to the Old Goa police station to inquire about the case and to collect a FIR copy, however, we could not meet the investigation officer. We then spoke to him over phone and we were told by the investigation officer that no FIR has been filed. On the contrary, we were told that my father did not want to file a complaint and he had given a letter to that effect addressed to the PI. I then requested the investigation officer to file an FIR and he asked me to come to the police station again to meet him. However, since I had to return back to Chennai, I could not meet him.

Sir, you may be aware that the sections of IPC applicable to this case namely Section 378 (Theft), Section 382 (Theft after preparation made for causing death, hurt or restraint in order to the committing of the theft), Section 390 (Robbery), Section 319 (Hurt), Section 320 (Grievous hurt) and Section 322 (Voluntarily causing grievous hurt), are cognizable offences under the Criminal Procedure Code. As such, it is mandatory for the police to forthwith enter the complaint into the register maintained for the said purpose, if the same relates to commission of a cognizable offence. On 12 November 2013, while interpreting Section 154 of the CRPC in the Lalita Kumari vs Govt.Of U.P. & Others case, the honorable Supreme Court of India has ruled that it is mandatory for the police to register a First Information Report for all complaints in which cognizable offence has been discovered.

Sir, the FIR is a pertinent document in the criminal law procedure of our country and its main object from the point of view of the informant is to set the criminal law in motion and from the point of view of the investigating authorities is to obtain information about the alleged criminal activity so as to be able to take suitable steps to trace and to bring to book the guilty. Without filing an FIR, on what basis will the investigation officer trace and bring to book the guilty?

Request you to kindly file an FIR in this matter at the earliest, and keep us informed once the same has been registered in order for us to collect a copy of the same.

Secondly, when we spoke to the investigation officer on 29th July, we were informed that he has asked for CC TV footages and the same were to be studied and the guilty would be brought to book at the earliest. We would like to know the progress done on this case till date.

Thanking you.

Yours sincerely,
Devdatta Rivonkar more  

View all 21 comments Below 21 comments
Even compalaints sent through RPAD are subject to verification by the Police. FIRs are granted at once in person and Police will not send them by Post. more  
Hi Ram. Thanks for the feedback.

I have incorporated the feedback received from a few quarters in the letter and sent out an email to the concerned police officer today. I shall be sending out the Registered letter tomorrow. Sure, I will give them a week's time before I request for the FIR copy. more  
Did you obtain the receipt of receiving this complaint letter dated 7th Sep. from the concerned Police station? If not, obtain the same or send copies of this letter to the concerned Police officer & SP under Regd. cover followed by a request letter asking for the authenticated copy of the FIR after a reasonable time, say 7 days. more  
Post a Comment

Related Posts

    • Registering a Business

      Hi, Am a working professional in a pvt ltd company. My query is while working in the company can i register a business in my name. Is there any act/law which prohibits. Thanks for your t...

      By Anonymous Circle member
    • Transfer of property by gift deed

      Can a mother, having five children, gift deed her property to a particular child without informing to the other children or getting consent of the other children?

      By Amitava Dutta
    • Judiciary must deliver fast & correct judgement

      As soon as a person is arrested on filing of FIR by police, & produced before Magistrates court dealing with Criminal case, the accused applies for bail & also obtains Stay before sessi...

      By Bahadur Sanjana
    • Legal advice to file a complaint

      Dear Members, I have to file a legal complaint against HDFC Bank at New Delhi for my pending refund of 60 thousand since Jan 2019. I have communicated enough on emails and on the phone however...

      By Sumit Bajaj
    • Settlement of claim

      Can any Circle member guide to get back the amount of one's father held up in a bank(SBI) after latters death without any nomination.

      By Koiredla Chandrarao
    • 4 crore personnel loan

      We have total 4 crore personnel loan out of 5 crore loan. One of my partner cheated us in Mining business. He mis utilized entire fund and project fake orders he created. We

      By Anonymous Circle member
    • Advocate help required

      Advocate help required for our odisha mining related fraud and document forgery from our partner. 1. Till now ~5cr amount transfered to his account for handling the project and office expe...

      By Anonymous Circle member
    • Adoption

      One of my friends wants to adopt a female baby ( a month old) . She is the daughter of his own brother and there is mutual consent. please let me know the procedures to be followed to make it legal...

      By N.Mohan Mohan
    • Pyramid Scheme from Osmose Technology Pvt Ltd

      I would like to know if it’s legal in India to run a Pyramid or Multi-level marketing scheme and if it’s safe for people to join as member. Particularly I would like to know...

      By Rajeev Rumale
    • Case against Medical Health insurance

      Want to file a case against Max Bupa Health Insurance company. Needs a competent professional, advocate or some Insurance law expert. Any one can advise ??

    • Maruti True Value - Total loss car sale

      I have bought other brand car (Honda Jazz) from Maruti True Value located @ Paruthipattu. They ensure the vehicle is not meet in accident and flood affected. While booking I agreed them to do name ...

      By Prabagaran Sekar
Enter your email and mobile number and we will send you the instructions

Note - The email can sometime gets delivered to the spam folder, so the instruction will be send to your mobile as well

All My Circles
Invite to
(Maximum 500 email ids allowed.)