Tax advise on capital gain

Can some one please advise me on capital gain on sale of a Rohini plot which was booked in 1981 but the possession was given only in last financial year.
I sold this plot in the same financial year. Will it be treated as short term capital gain or long term capital gain? and if short term capital gain, what is the tax rate and can the gain be deposited in tax saving deposit as in case of LTCG? more  

View all 11 comments Below 11 comments
Sir, gains from sale of the assets-moveable or immovable are treated as Capital gains- STCG and LTCG. Gains from STCG forms part of the income and taxed accordingly, as per income tax bracket one belongs. However, in order to determine tax rates, we have to first determine that whether this gain is Short term or long term. With esteemed regards. more  
Sir, I agree with Shri Goyal. In terms of provision under Section 2(42A) of IT Act for Capital Gains as interpreted by Hon'ble Tribunals/ Courts etc, the starting period of holding the property commences from the date of Allotment of Plot and not the date of giving the possession. In case of DDA, dates of allotment is normally much earlier than giving the possession in most of the cases. Since you have not indicated the dates of allotment and sale of the property, it may be difficult to calculate period of holding and indicate whether it would be LTCG/STCG. With esteemed regards. Ramesh Mital more  
One should always remember that public forums are no substitute to Chamber Consulatancy or consultancy by your own tax advisor as he knows all facts, KYC and background.

Anyway certain benefits like investments in another residential houses etc are available only when the income from sold property is sold under teh head Income from house Property tat is the important issue which requires the nature of property to be determined accordingly. As this plot was neither rented nor self occupied , it is doubtful it can be taxed under the head Income from House Property. Once it is not taxable under Income from House Property it loses all benefits provided for sale and reinvestments in house properties. the normal benefits like special rates of Taxes, Investments in Bonds etc shall be available. more  
It will be treated as Short Term Capital Gains and tax rate thereon is 15% of capital gains. more  
per your tax slab. 15% is not there. For LTCG it it is 20% or 10% for immovable properties and movable properties such as shares,MF respectively. 15% is nowhere mentioned for immovable properties. more  
The date of allotment of plot is of material importance and will be counted for the purpose of capital gain as per a decision of the income tax tribunal. You may so calculate from the date of allotment if its a Long term or Short term capital gains. In case of Short term capital gains the whole amount of gain is to be dded to your annual taxable income and taxed as per your applicable income slab.. more  
Post a Comment

Related Posts

    • Tax, ITR filing, CA, Tax Payer, etc

      Most of the CA & firms who offer services related to ITR filing use the client credentials - is this the right practice?

      By Jai J
    • Please vote everyone if you want income tax filing deadline extended

      How are you positioned to be able to file your individual income tax return for FY 2018-19 by the July 31..

      By Aditi Jain
    • Itr

      In such case of delay being normal, the government should make last date as 30 sept., in place of 31 July, so there is uniformity.

      By Hasmukh Sangani
    • Income tax return

      With increasing the dead line by one month by Cbdt, it is expected by general people atleast the same extension of one month, I.e. submission of income tax return by 31 st August instead of 31 st J...

      By Hasmukh Sangani
    • Need to extend Income Tax Return due date of July 31 to December 31

      CBDT, vide its notification F. No. 275/38/2017-IT(B) Dated: 4th June, 2019, with a view to redress genuine hardship of deductors in timely filing of TDS statement in Form 24Q on account of revision...

    • Minimum EPF pension.

      The newly elected government promises pension of 3000 for the farmers and shop-keepers on attaining 60 years of age. But, it fails in its duty of paying at least such a minimum pension to the EPF p...

      By Dr. Rajendran Thangavel
    • Income tax return

      Yes. The people going abroad faces this issue. This need to be solved by government. Previously we used to get form 16 and TDS return from banks maximum by second week of may. I do not understand w...

      By Hasmukh Sangani
    • Don’t leave your family with these 3 things post death

      Confusion. After you are gone, your next of kin will spend the most amount of time figuring out issues linked to money. Bank accounts, fixed deposits, pension, Public Provident Fund, post office de...

      By Aditi Jain
    • Banks & Senior Citizens

      Many Banks have separate “Senior Citizen Savings account” for the Senior Citizen. Great. My Question : If the banks have details of PAN and Aadhar of each of the account holder, both o...

      By Mangesh Anaokar
    • डीमेट समस्या

      हमें पिछले हर समय पर हमारे राजनीतिक / आर्थिक / स्टॉक एक्सचेंज विशेषज्ञों ने यही समझाया की शेयरों में निवेश न केवल अच्छा रिटर्न देगा बल्कि राष्ट्र निर्माण में मदद करेगा। उनकी सलाह को ध्यान में रख...

      By G D Binani
Share To
Enter your email & mobile number and we will send you the instructions

Note - The email can sometime gets delivered to the spam folder, so the instruction will be send to your mobile as well

Please select a Circle that you want people to invite to.
Invite to
(Maximum 500 email ids allowed.)