Tax advice required

1. The age of my wife Mrs. Madhu Dhal is of 67 years (born 1945). We shifted from Agra in October 2012 due to my illness, now residing in NOIDA.
2. Till March 2013, she was getting FD interest, below tax limit, from bank but tax was deducted and Form 16A was issued. How can she apply for refund?
3. In 2013-14, she sold her house and opened another FD in the same bank which will give taxable interest; hence she will file the return and needs advice. She also wants to know if there is any deductable exp. From tax, such as expenses on my illness and household exp. Etc. Thanks.

Dharam Vir Dhal - Mobile No. 08373932295 more  

View all 6 comments Below 6 comments
sorry for typing error, please read " difference is sale price and indexed cost price is the capital gains more  
Dear sir,

As i see your query i thought you was not filling ITR in previous year.
so file ITR and get Refund.

Atul Sharma more  
If your wife sold a house then first thing is to fix the indexation value as on the date of sale with respect to date of purchase or construction. after indexation the difference in cost and indexed price is the real income of capital gains on which 20% tax is applicable. But if your wife invests this income in another house then no tax, otherwise in 3yrs capital gains bonds of REC/NTPC or 5yrs capital gains special FD of bank you get exemption from capital gains but the interest on that FD is again taxable. more  
Dear Sir,

Just a small correction what i intended by that comment was to point how he
could plan his taxes better before March 31, 2014 or within the time frame
that you also recognised two year after such transfer or three years in
case of construction. I started with the overall exemption limit to inform
him of the slab he would fall in.Sometimes lay people want to start with
how much they can deduct.Before going technical on how capital gains is
calculated, I thought it fit to inform him in that direction.

Besides I was mentioning that in case it is a long term FD it would be
deducted from taxable income under Section 80C specified contributions upto
Rs 1 lakh. I have not yet dealt with the issue of interest, as he did not
ask it. But point taken that it should have been mentioned.(I did not know
the date of sale or reinvestment into Fixed deposit) His query on interest
being taxed was for the previous year. I think you got me wrong. Besides I
am sure he cannot change the first FD with fresh infusion if it is long

Thanks and Regards,

Ashish Gosain. more  
proceeds from sale of immovable property attracts capital gains tax if not invested in immovable property again and within a specified time frame. such a reinvestment in immovable property does not attract capital gains tax and has no limitation slab.

But when you put the proceeds from the sale of immovable property into a bank FD and do not reinvest in immovable property within the time frame, you would not only have to pay capital gains tax but also tax on the interest earned from the FD in the bank.

The above is as per my knowledge and perhaps Mr. Ashish Gosain, being in the area of taxation or a CA could guide you better. more  
Post a Comment

Related Posts

    • Savings Must ?

      Senior people at loss as Bank FDs intrest less. Now any type of Mutual Funds ,Liquid Funds prone to Stamp Duty. Gains for LTCG. Dividends TDS! SCSS etc Long duration with reduced yields! Is Saving...

    • Newz 26 AS form

      CBDT has recently brought out the new form 26AS for ease of filing of Income Tax Returns(ITRs)by taxpayers.The new form is a faceless handholding of taxpayers,to help them with updated financial t...

      By Aditi Jain
    • Wrong TDS entry in Form 26 AS

      Need urgent advise from some one please - In my Form 26AS for assessment year 20-21, some entries of TDS has been shown under section 194C by some one with whom I never had any dealing. Moreov...

      By Brij Gupta

      LIC being a very big insurance company, why not they look into the possibility of making the changes in the existing policies, like change in address, name change, bank details etc. ONLINE. When on...

      By Hari Shenoy
    • Bank's refusal to honor agreed FD interest.

      Dear members, I am Sekar and new to In 2014 I booked some 5 years fixed deposits with a private bank, due to their higher interest rate promised to me. During matu...

      By Sekar Rg
    • DEAF Account

      It often happens that people don’t share even the basic financial details with their family members. In case of any untoward incident, the family members are left in the lurch as they are una...

      By Aditi Jain
    • Tax on dividend

      I fully agree with the circle member's claim to approach the FM/PM, requesting to remove the senior citizens from taxing 10% on the dividend received on the Mutual Funds. In fact the present level ...

      By Subramanian Sekaripuram Ananthakrishnan
    • Benefit of new tax regime for 13L+ salary earners

      Most of the salaried individuals with gross income of ₹13 lakh or more and non-salaried persons with income of ₹9.5 lakh or more will get to make tax savings if they sign up for the new lower incom...

      By Satvik Singh
    • NRI income in zero tax domiciles taxable in India

      NRIs living in zero tax domiciles like UAE (Dubai Sharjah & also Bahamas etc) will have to pay tax in India. And now all those who (partly) moved to Dubai recently to evade taxes are stuck.

      By Aditi Jain
    • Farmers must be taxed

      The tax system is currently design to squeeze the middle class. This must change. We are India’s most abused tax payers.

      By Aditi Jain

      I am cautioning the circle members and the general public at large that the insurance policies issued by ICICI are to be taken with a pinch of salt. The agents of ICICI who sell their policies as w...

      By Subramanian Sekaripuram Ananthakrishnan
Enter your email & mobile number and we will send you the instructions

Note - The email can sometime gets delivered to the spam folder, so the instruction will be send to your mobile as well

Please select a Circle that you want people to invite to.
Invite to
(Maximum 500 email ids allowed.)