Don’t leave your family with these 3 things post death

Confusion. After you are gone, your next of kin will spend the most amount of time figuring out issues linked to money. Bank accounts, fixed deposits, pension, Public Provident Fund, post office deposits, life insurance policies, mutual funds, lockers, real estate and vehicles—these are just some of the assets that they will have to deal with. A young friend lost her dad last year and found unpaid life insurance policies in the cupboard. Her father had been ill for a few months and had forgotten to pay the premiums. To figure out what policy was alive, on which policy premium had not been paid and how she could claim the money took her more than a month.Therefore, make a Will. Be sure to make it when you are in your 40s and then keep updating it. Accidents happen and lifestyle-linked deaths hit anytime. List out your assets in that Will. Give details like account numbers of banks, depositories, online portals through which you invest, agent names and numbers, location of papers, location of locker key—basically, if you take a moment to imagine you are not around and your family is struggling to find papers and make sense of your financial life, what you need to do to help them will be clear. Do that exercise. And then clear up the clutter and confusion of your money life. Ideally, have a cupboard or a place in the house that has all the paperwork in well-marked files that are updated regularly.
Property. Do a favour to your children and don’t leave them real estate assets other than the one house you live in now. Even if the children are in India, dealing with property issues in smaller towns far away from their place of work is going to make life difficult for them. A friend’s father had several properties he had given out on rent. One of the houses had a tenant who was paying rent that he had not raised for 10 years. The tenant had no intention to move. To evict the reluctant tenants to sell the properties needed skills that go beyond money and finance. Even if there are no ownership issues, big fights break out in families over real estate assets. Keep it simple, invest in financial assets and clearly mark out who gets what.

Debt. Don’t leave debt for your family to deal with. If there are home loans or other loans, ensure that you have a term life insurance cover that will take care of the debt in case you die. If you finish paying off your debt and are still alive, you can either let go of the term plan or continue it—your income would have gone up in this time and the need for higher cover will justify keeping the additional cover. more  

View all 13 comments Below 13 comments
If one property is given to one daughter through a registered Will made by mother and other daughters have got monetary benefits and immovable property from father,these daughters can't claim for property given by mother to the daughter who takes care of her during her golden years
If every registered Will is to be challenged in courts through well meaning lawyers and Big fat law firms,the Idea of getting the Will registered carries no meaning. more  
Very sane advice. Needs to be followed. M more  
Useful and practical advice one should follow latest after 50 years of age. more  
Advisable - First & Foremost is Nomination (Not only one i.e. Spose but minimum TWO) with equal share so to avoid legal complications.

It is observed that fake &/or fictitious records are made so to avoid responsibilities & payables - like that of :

RPAD Letter is forwarded with Name & Address as XYZ, Chandani Chowk, Delhi 110004.
Which is boound to get returned, wherein the Insurance, Bank & Similar other will record that Claiment - Untracable.

Also advisable to opt for TWO different Address of the Nominee.

Following info is self explanatory:
BANKS (PSU) Rs. 3500 Crs.
INSURANCE Rs. 3500 Crs.
POST OFFICE Rs. 3500 Crs.
STOCKS & BONDS Rs. 1101 Crs.


Here, unclaimed insurance policy money means, the money which has been remained unclaimed beyond six months from the claim settlement due date. It can be any of the below claims;
• Death claim,
• Maturity claim,
• Survival benefit (Money-back amount),
• Premium due for refund,
• Premium deposit not adjusted against premium
• Indemnity claims etc. more  
Thank you very much Aditi ! very useful advice. more  
Post a Comment

Related Posts

    • PAN No. of unlisted co.

      CBDT should also revisit it's decision to file ITR with unlisted shares' holding list showing PAN No. of concerned Co. whereas Company Master Data page of MCA do not contain this PAN detail then fo...

      By G D Binani
    • CBDT: Thanks for providing Prefilled ITR Forms

      I want to place on record sincere thanks to CBDT for providing pre-filled ITR Forms under e-filing. This has simplified the process of filing IT Return and made it faster.

    • Tax, ITR filing, CA, Tax Payer, etc

      Most of the CA & firms who offer services related to ITR filing use the client credentials - is this the right practice?

      By Jai J
    • Please vote everyone if you want income tax filing deadline extended

      How are you positioned to be able to file your individual income tax return for FY 2018-19 by the July 31..

      By Aditi Jain
    • Things not good for wealthy

      After ydays budget Top tax payers now pay one of the highest taxes in the world with GST impact. But they are no where close in terms of quality of life, health benefits, social security. This is n...

      By Naveen Goel
    • Itr

      In such case of delay being normal, the government should make last date as 30 sept., in place of 31 July, so there is uniformity.

      By Hasmukh Sangani
    • Income tax return

      With increasing the dead line by one month by Cbdt, it is expected by general people atleast the same extension of one month, I.e. submission of income tax return by 31 st August instead of 31 st J...

      By Hasmukh Sangani
    • Need to extend Income Tax Return due date of July 31 to December 31

      CBDT, vide its notification F. No. 275/38/2017-IT(B) Dated: 4th June, 2019, with a view to redress genuine hardship of deductors in timely filing of TDS statement in Form 24Q on account of revision...

    • Minimum EPF pension.

      The newly elected government promises pension of 3000 for the farmers and shop-keepers on attaining 60 years of age. But, it fails in its duty of paying at least such a minimum pension to the EPF p...

      By Dr. Rajendran Thangavel
    • Tax advise on capital gain

      Can some one please advise me on capital gain on sale of a Rohini plot which was booked in 1981 but the possession was given only in last financial year. I sold this plot in the same financia...

      By Brij Gupta
    • Income tax return

      Yes. The people going abroad faces this issue. This need to be solved by government. Previously we used to get form 16 and TDS return from banks maximum by second week of may. I do not understand w...

      By Hasmukh Sangani
Share To
Enter your email & mobile number and we will send you the instructions

Note - The email can sometime gets delivered to the spam folder, so the instruction will be send to your mobile as well

Please select a Circle that you want people to invite to.
Invite to
(Maximum 500 email ids allowed.)