Consumer Grievance with Medical Industry – Inputs on Solutions
Here is a list of the key issues as shared by you in the medical industry from a Consumer perspective.
1. Medicines and medical tests are getting expensive day by day
2. A nexus has developed between the hospitals/doctors and the path labs
3. Hospitals prescribe costly medicines which are never given but only billed
4. They charge for very costly tests which are either not necessary or not done & false reports generated by computerised forgery
5. The surgeons overcharge
6. Many surgeries are done by trainees under a senior doctor’s name
7. No standardized rates displayed in hospitals for the services offered
8. Doctors don’t prescribe generic medicines which are much cheaper
9. Generic medicines are hard to find in the market
10. Absence of senior doctors from government hospitals
11. Patients are misbehaved with in government hospitals
12. Entry and exit formalities are very poor in government hospitals
13. Prescribed medicines are available only in the nearby stores and not around the city
14. Reimbursement of medical bills by insurance companies is another big issue
15. Patients are prescribed unnecessary tests to get kickbacks
16. Modern treatment facilities are not available in public hospital
17. No Transparency in treatment
18. Patients are kept in ICU for getting higher room rents
19. Treatments are extended for indoor patients for keeping the beds occupied and maximizing returns
20. If a patient has mediclaim, he is charged extra compared to a patient without insurance cover
21. Unhygienic conditions prevail in most clinics/ hospital complexes
22. Dubious clinics still carry out unauthorized organ selling, surrogacy, abortion of the girl child, etc.
23. All health centres and Super specialities are in cities. How can rural consumer afford city rates of healthcare & lodging?
24. Banned drugs continue to be available in the markets.
Based on these issues highlighted, all members are requested to help identify solutions. Our objective is to propose action oriented solutions to the related Government Departments/Ministries so actions can be taken to address some of the key issues from a citizen perspective.
Looking forward to your inputs!
Rajendra Pratap Gupta more