Accounting for Service Tax Paid in Income Tax

A company which I rendered some professional services to has reported the gross amount they paid to me (TRACES system). I have deposited the Service Tax collected which was part of that amount. In my income taxes, should I consider the Service Tax amount as Expense along with other Expenses like Fuel/Travel etc? Or should the Service Tax payment be applied as Tax Credit....Or Do I only report Total Revenue without Service Tax (despite the TRACES system showing total amount)

Any help would be great... more  

Service tax collected by you is not your income. You are treated as agent of Govt. for collection and payment of Service Tax. But income tax act provides that while calculating your income from business/profession, you have to add the Service Tax to your profit and you will be allowed to deduct the service tax if you have paid to govt. i.e If you have collected service tax and paid to govt., you do not have to pay income tax on that service tax but if you collected but not deposited with govt., you have to pay income tax on that Service tax. more  
Hi, Yes that's correct, since it is said as rule that one type of income cannot be taxed twice i.e. professional services income cannot be taxed twice i.e. on same contingency tax cannot arise twice. But taxes deposited from such income even service tax form an exception to the rule. You are absolutely correct in your understanding. Thanks, Ashish Gosain. more  
I had another question on travel expenses. If someone had professional service revenue of 5 lakhs in the year and if they had overseas and domestic travel expenses of 2 lakhs for the revenue than can they be deducted from the revenue? more  
Thanks a lot Ashish. So if I understand right, I am even paying income tax on the service tax portion that my customer paid and I deposited. more  
Dear Mr. Azam Yusuf, I hope you were able to resolve your query regarding investment allowance as discussed by my previous email. The Service Tax deposited is part of the professional services income and cannot be deducted as business expense . The gross amount including service tax will be taxable therefore as business Income. However, You may take deductions under sections 30-37 of the Income Tax Act,1961 and Sections 40-42 mentions deductions, which are not allowable. The following are allowable : Section 30- rent, rates,municipal taxes, repirs and insurance Section 31-Current repairs and insuranec of machinery, plant and furniture Section 32-Depreciation Bonus or commission to employees,Interest on Borrowed capital. Litigation expenses, stamp duty, registration charges, commisssion paid to selling agents Salary and Perquisites to employees. Expenses incurred on muhurat or Diwali, Premia paid on loss of profit policies Municipal property tax etc. are allowable. But the position on any tax paid on the professional services income is that it is taxable in the gross amount. Hope this satisfies your query. Thanks, Ashish Gosain. more  
Post a Comment

Related Posts

    • Unfair practice by IT Deptt,

      I had filed my income tax return for the assessment year 2021-22 under section 139(1) i.e., filed on or before the due date, and claimed the refund of Rs. 5000 plus. The same was acknowledged by th...

      By Indu Bhushan Bhargava
    • Income Tax Refund Delay

      I am a senior citizen and filed my return on the 18th Oct but till date (23rd Dec) I have not recd my refund. I have called their Helpline no also many times. They say they will lodge my complaint ...

      By Neeru Sood
    • Senior Citizens retirement plans going for a toss

      For bank fixed deposits in India: 2016: 9.3% interest 2019: 8% interest 2021: 5.5% interest Senior citizens retirement plans must be under water unless they did enough ...

      By Aditi Jain
    • New Income Tax Portal System

      God news. A lot of time has been vested. In the Court, it may be advised that any future such new thing must be tested in all respect and by all stakeholders, before the due date I.e. 31/03 in this...

      By Hasmukh Sangani
    • Why income details must be given to broker

      Always wondered, why does an investor have to fill in income details with the broker? I buy shares if I have money. I do not need to have an income. And PAN number is a must. So why do you add this...

      By Aditi Jain
    • Bad news for small savers

      There won't be any cut in interest rate of Small savings schemes . Yesterday's decision to lower the interest rate is REVERSED

      By Jayanti Natarajan
    • Bad news for small savers

      Rates on small savings schemes reduced by 50-90 basis points. PPF in April-June quarter to earn you only 6.4% interest against 7.1% earlier. Senior Citizens Savings Scheme to earn on 6.5% now compa...

      By Vikram Gupta
    • Secured earning for Senior Citizens

      I raised this point on earlier occasions also. No relief seen in any budget. I made a suggestion as follows: There are some schemes exclusively for the benefit of Senior Citizens like Se...

      By SN Sitaram
    • Rounding off the amount in Bills

      Request guidance as to which is the appropriate circle & authority to whom i can complain regarding the below mentioned issue: Lately with many of my relatives and friends staying in Gurga...

      By Manas Hazarika
    • Great news for seniors

      Senior Citizens (above 75 years) who get pension and interest income only are exempted from filing returns

      By Azam Yusuf
    • The Govt salutes honest and compliant tax payers

      Recently our CBDT isued a press release saying it cannot punish compliant and honest tax payer by extending various due dates for the assessee who are dishonest, lazy and non compliant and our secu...

Enter your email and mobile number and we will send you the instructions

Note - The email can sometime gets delivered to the spam folder, so the instruction will be send to your mobile as well

All My Circles
Invite to
(Maximum 500 email ids allowed.)