I have opened a Demat as well as Saving's account in my wife's name. These are Joint a/c where she is the first holder. She is a house wife and has no source of income. Accordingly I am clubbing any interest or Capital Gain thus earned in my Tax return and showing the details under schedule SPI & EI (wherever applicable ). She is not filing any return. I am would like to know a) if it is still required to file separate IT return by her and b) whether she can get any Notice by IT deptt for not filing a return based on their tracking of high value transaction.........Ranjan more  

View all 9 comments Below 9 comments
Dear mr Ranjan Sahi, How long you are having the dmat a/c and the transaction you made. It is better to get a PAN in your wife name. All the money through which you bought shares can be accounted as gift /or interest free loan to her.That will be the source of income for her. If the capital gain (selling of shares within one year of purchase, at higher cost than the purchase price - is capital gain) not exceeding the taxable income,there is no tax liability.If the shares are sold after one year the capital gain is not taxed as per the extant of current IT rules. Many while in service(PSU or Government) are hesitant to show this in the income or property return filed with the company. Similarly it is always better to file IT return for the spouse accounting for gifts and other income, which will be useful in many ways. If it warrants Tax,it is better to pay.After all we are paying from what one earns above the limits. It is better to advice all youngsters to file IT return for self and spouse The youngsters shall plan for the retirement corps at their early years. Don't bother about pension. The pension is the money you account for additional corpus more  
if taxable income is less than 250000/-, need not to file return, but demat A/C. is her name first & you are not taking a/c. if capital gain is not exceeding slab, no need. but transactions are heavy in bank, better to file, otherwise there is chance of getting a notice for IT dept. more  
I would agree with Prof Umesh Kumar. more  
Separate return by her will be better for following reasons 1. Lower or no income tax depending upon the income from interest, capital gains etc. Further she can invest under 80C, 80D etc. to bring taxable income to zero income tax, if income is not more than 5-6 Lac per annum. 2. For high value transaction she can get notice of income tax department. In case of any scrutiny, your account is also liable for scrutiny, in case of one return. 3. Even if you are not directly filing ITR, any CA may charge about Rs 1000/-, which may off set the additional tax that may be paying by clubbing her income to your account. 4. Please get a PAN for her too. more  
as per my knowledge up to annual income RS5lacs of individual, one need not file IT return. more  
Post a Comment

Related Posts

    • Why income details must be given to broker

      Always wondered, why does an investor have to fill in income details with the broker? I buy shares if I have money. I do not need to have an income. And PAN number is a must. So why do you add this...

      By Aditi Jain
    • Bad news for small savers

      There won't be any cut in interest rate of Small savings schemes . Yesterday's decision to lower the interest rate is REVERSED

      By Jayanti Natarajan
    • Bad news for small savers

      Rates on small savings schemes reduced by 50-90 basis points. PPF in April-June quarter to earn you only 6.4% interest against 7.1% earlier. Senior Citizens Savings Scheme to earn on 6.5% now compa...

      By Vikram Gupta
    • Secured earning for Senior Citizens

      I raised this point on earlier occasions also. No relief seen in any budget. I made a suggestion as follows: There are some schemes exclusively for the benefit of Senior Citizens like Se...

      By SN Sitaram
    • Rounding off the amount in Bills

      Request guidance as to which is the appropriate circle & authority to whom i can complain regarding the below mentioned issue: Lately with many of my relatives and friends staying in Gurga...

      By Manas Hazarika
    • Great news for seniors

      Senior Citizens (above 75 years) who get pension and interest income only are exempted from filing returns

      By Azam Yusuf
    • The Govt salutes honest and compliant tax payers

      Recently our CBDT isued a press release saying it cannot punish compliant and honest tax payer by extending various due dates for the assessee who are dishonest, lazy and non compliant and our secu...

    • Can budget help with illiquid stocks

      Most of senior citizens are stuck with stocks of illiquid and delisted companies. To help them a window may be created to extinguish such stocks and set aside such investments against long term ca...

      By Aditi Jain
    • Waive off Tax for the Covid-19 period!

      Covid-19 has affected almost all citizens and residents of India. People are jobless and businesses are either shut down or in a loss. People are unable pay their EMI's. Loan moratorium relief was ...

      By Suhail Sayed
    • Now report these in income tax

      Additional transactions to be included under the reporting standards of income tax include: Payment of rent above Rs 40,000. Payment of educational fee/donations above Rs 1 lakh per...

      By Aditi Jain
    • Savings Must ?

      Senior people at loss as Bank FDs intrest less. Now any type of Mutual Funds ,Liquid Funds prone to Stamp Duty. Gains for LTCG. Dividends TDS! SCSS etc Long duration with reduced yields! Is Saving...

Enter your email and mobile number and we will send you the instructions

Note - The email can sometime gets delivered to the spam folder, so the instruction will be send to your mobile as well

All My Circles
Invite to
(Maximum 500 email ids allowed.)