I wish to know about taxation as a senior citizen. more  

View all 6 comments Below 6 comments
Dear Sir,


I write in reply.

Firstly, her exemption limit is 2,50,000 on taxable income as per slabs.

1) Her FD interest got taxed because she did not submit a form 10H to the
bank (declaration asking them not to deduct tax as she did not have any
other source of income). Since she must have filed her tax return in July
2013 for the said assessment year 2012-13 , a refund will be got after her
return is processed. (Most of the returns filed last year by me have been
processed).In case she has not filed last year's return then do so asap to
claim refund. *The date for filing last years return (at the rate of
interest of 1% per month on tax) is March 31, 2014.(No penalty will be
applicable). *

As far as you shifting from Agra to Noida is concerned, please confirm if
you have more than property and whether one of them was let out during the
last year. Then income from House property will also have to be factored in
for last year, depending on who paid the rent. (I assume none of you are

2) For the year 2013-14 , I would like to know if you made a fixed deposit
at the Post Office or in a bank). To answer your third query, on expenses
on illness, they are deductible for specified illnesses under Section
80DDB. The quantum is with a ceiling of Rs 60,000 for senior citizens.
Household expenses are however not deductible. Maintenance of property
expenses, property taxes can be deducted from the income taxable. I would
like to know if you have taken any Health insurance for self or spouse,
that can be deductible upto Rs 1,00,000 Section 80C or paid expenses for
preventative check up.

Firstly, you can claim exemption from capital gains if you invest gains
from one house property within a period of one year before such purchase,
or within 2 years after purchase or constructed a house within 3 years
from date of transfer This applies to long term capital gains i.e. here
house was held for three or more years. However the property obtaine dby
reinvestment cannot be sold of before three years to avail this deduction.

Since the sale of a house constitutes capital gain under Section 54 and
certain deductions are allowed. Further, depending on whether you held it
for three or more more (long term capital gain is taxed at a lower rate)
you capital gains will have to be calculated. Here cost of acquisition of
the house will be calculated by multiplying it with wholesale price index
of 2013-14 divided by whole sale price index in the year of purchase. Sale
Consideration mentioned in the agreement (after deducting stamp duty,
registration fees, brokerage and commission paid, any legal expenses to
effect transfer is deducted ) deducted by this indexed cost of acquisition
to arrive at capital gains which is taxed on the basis whether it is long
term or short term.

3) Further for tax planning, investment in certain specified instruments
within a particular time limit is deductible. Also please note since last
assessment year savings bank interest upto Rs 10,000 is deductible under
Section 80TTA (a new deduction).
Hope you find this useful.In case of any query, please feel free to contact
me at 9958190988.I shall be going to Noida in the next week, if you need me
to meet you, we can fix a mutually suitable time.


Ashish Gosain. more  
1. The age of my wife Mrs. Madhu Dhal is of 67 years (born 1945). We shifted from Agra in October 2012 due to my illness, now residing in NOIDA.
2. Till March 2013, she was getting FD interest, below tax limit, from bank but tax was deducted and Form 16A was issued. How can she apply for refund?
3. In 2013-14, she sold her house and opened another FD in the same bank which will give taxable interest; hence she will file the return and needs advice. She also wants to know if there is any deductable exp. From tax, such as expenses on my illness and household exp. Etc. Thanks.

Dharam Vir Dhal - Mobile No. 08373932295 more  
Dear Mr. Dhall,

I, Ashish Gosain, Tax Return Preparer and Advocate am responding to your

There are two tax slabs one for senior citizens above 60 years of age and
then super senior citizens above 80 years of age. I would like to know your
age group. (below 60, above 80, or 60-80)

Please call me at 9958190988 for any queries you may have.



On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 11:26 PM, Dharam Vir Dhal <
support@localcirclesmail.com> wrote:

> more  
Sir what you wanna know about. Now income tax act divides senior citizen in two- senior citizen and super senior citizen.
So please elaborate your query. more  
Post a Comment

Related Posts


      LIC being a very big insurance company, why not they look into the possibility of making the changes in the existing policies, like change in address, name change, bank details etc. ONLINE. When on...

      By Hari Shenoy
    • Bank's refusal to honor agreed FD interest.

      Dear members, I am Sekar and new to localcircles.com. In 2014 I booked some 5 years fixed deposits with a private bank, due to their higher interest rate promised to me. During matu...

      By Sekar Rg
    • DEAF Account

      It often happens that people don’t share even the basic financial details with their family members. In case of any untoward incident, the family members are left in the lurch as they are una...

      By Aditi Jain
    • Tax on dividend

      I fully agree with the circle member's claim to approach the FM/PM, requesting to remove the senior citizens from taxing 10% on the dividend received on the Mutual Funds. In fact the present level ...

      By Subramanian Sekaripuram Ananthakrishnan
    • Benefit of new tax regime for 13L+ salary earners

      Most of the salaried individuals with gross income of ₹13 lakh or more and non-salaried persons with income of ₹9.5 lakh or more will get to make tax savings if they sign up for the new lower incom...

      By Satvik Singh
    • NRI income in zero tax domiciles taxable in India

      NRIs living in zero tax domiciles like UAE (Dubai Sharjah & also Bahamas etc) will have to pay tax in India. And now all those who (partly) moved to Dubai recently to evade taxes are stuck.

      By Aditi Jain
    • Farmers must be taxed

      The tax system is currently design to squeeze the middle class. This must change. We are India’s most abused tax payers.

      By Aditi Jain

      I am cautioning the circle members and the general public at large that the insurance policies issued by ICICI are to be taken with a pinch of salt. The agents of ICICI who sell their policies as w...

      By Subramanian Sekaripuram Ananthakrishnan
    • Why one should insist for Fixed Deposit Receipt

      As you all know now-a-days whenever we request any sort of statement / report etc. from non-banking financial companies (NBFCs) i.e. insurance, chit fund, merchant banking, stock broking service p...

      By G D Binani
    • Beware of brokers

      2000 crore fraud by karvy on its customers. Sebi has banned it now. How come we only do bans and the regulators are never facing penalties and punishments for letting shit happen.

      By Aditi Jain
    • Simplification of Tax Return Filing

      The income tax return filing has been made so complicated that no common man/person today is able to file her return on her own, without the help/assistance of tax professionals. Each time we have ...

      By Sujata
Enter your email & mobile number and we will send you the instructions

Note - The email can sometime gets delivered to the spam folder, so the instruction will be send to your mobile as well

Please select a Circle that you want people to invite to.
Invite to
(Maximum 500 email ids allowed.)