6 Great Reasons Sleep On Your Left Side
1. It supports the body in getting rid of toxins, waste and other unwanted materials. According to Ayurvedic tradition, sleeping on your left side bolsters the lymphatic system, allowing your body to better filter lymph fluid and waste via the lymph nodes.
2. It is good for the heart. Sleeping on your left side improves circulation to the heart. The theory is that gravity can facilitate both lymph drainage toward the heart, as well as circulation away from the heart.
3. It may reduce heartburn. According to a study published in the Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, lying on the left side can help reduce acid reflux symptoms.
4. It may improve digestion. The idea that sleeping on your left side may improve digestion simply stems from a matter of gravity. The theory is that lying on the left side allows food waste to move easily from the large intestine into the colon. Therefore, this means that you are more likely to have a bowel movement upon waking. This sleeping position also allows the stomach and pancreas to hang naturally, as both organs are predominantly located on the left side.
5. It may alleviate back pain. Sleeping on the left side can relieve pressure on the spine, and is therefore ideal for people who suffer from chronic back pain, allowing them to feel more comfortable and get a good night's sleep.
6. It is beneficial for pregnant women Besides boosting blood circulation, sleeping on the left side can also help relieve pressure on the back, keeping the uterus from squeezing the liver. This sleeping position also increases blood flow to the uterus, kidneys and fetus.
However some, particularly those with heart disease, sleep apnea, glaucoma, and carpal tunnel syndrome, may not benefit from sleeping on one side. If you're unsure which sleeping position is best for you, consult with a medical professional. more