Corruption in School Admissions - Inputs on Solutions
in regards to Corruption in School Admissions. Kindly review and propose specific solutions that can address this.
We will then compile a whitepaper to be submitted to Ministry of HRD, States and other stakeholders who can affect the implementaion of corrective actions.
Transparency International India
Corruption in School Admissions - Root Causes
1. Most private schools are run as businesses these days
2. Management treats schools as a money making machine
3. There is a big mismatch in demand and supply when it comes to admissions
4. The number of students that seek admissions every year are very high
5. The number of schools are limited
6. Principal is supposed to make profits for the management
7. Some teachers try to make money on the side by selling the teacher’s quota
8. Schools believe that admitting children under EWS quota is a waste of resources
9. Many schools are run by politicians through trusts
10. Admitting kids in famous schools has become a status symbol for parents
11. Many parents do not mind throwing in some cash to get a seat in city’s popular schools.
Corruption in School Admissions - Key Issues
1. Principals ask for donations for admissions
2. Teachers accept money for admitting kids in staff quota
3. School management takes bribes to admit kids in the management quota
4. In more famous schools of metros, bribes to principals are offered in form of jewellery and plot of lands
5. Politicians take huge money from parents and use their power to get kids admitted
6. Schools take bribes and admit non-EWS kids into the EWS quota
7. Money is asked for at admission time in the name of building funds
8. Money is also taken in cheques in the name of societies running the school. more
The poor pay bribes of over Rs 8,000 million to access public services.
This year the survey was conducted by education dept in nasik. All was done sime achools w/o grant refused officers to enter or drive them out. All schools omplained that they have not recd grant from govt. So they refused.
Education secretary etc just reported. Another is fee hike. It is another corruption field. No actionnis taken on schools. more