Corruption in PF Offices - Inputs on Solutions
Kindly review them and help identify specific solutions for these issues and root causes. solutions. We have already had dialogue with the EPF Commissionerate and they will implement feasible solutions recommended by us.
Transparency International India.
Corruption in Provident Fund offices – Root Causes
1. The PF officials have a lot of authority vested in them
2. The systems are not yet completely computerised in certain places
3. Peons collect the bribes on behalf of the higher officials
4. Lack of a set process in small cities
5. Some officials don’t want to get into the hassle of taking cash and hence ask for bribes in kind
6. Government’s response to complaints has been luke warm
7. Insensibility of the concerned employees/officials towards the sufferings of the claimants
8. Lack of provisions for fixing accountability
9. Timely updation of records is not done
10. Embezzlement of the amount of PF contribution recovered by the employers from their employees
11. Many claimants are not well educated and fall in to the trap
Corruption Issues at PF Offices
1. Officials keep finding faults and reject the file if a bribe is not paid
2. Peons ask for money to move the file
3. Claimants are told that the signatures of the higher officials are pending and they could pay up to expedite the process
4. The system is manual at a lot of places which leaves the officers with much authority and opportunities to ask for bribes
5. Officials ask for a fixed percentage of your PF amount to help you get your money quickly
6. Since there is no specified time limits to finish tasks, officials keep pushing files forward till they get a bribe
7. Bribes are also paid in kind and also in form of gift cheques
8. People who refuse to give bribes end up going around the PF office again and again without any luck. more
The poor pay bribes of over Rs 8,000 million to access public services.
I asked his advise. He told me that it is simple, get in touch with any middle man and pay him 5 or 10% of your PF amount. They will complete the job in a weeks time.
I told him, Is it good to encourage corruption. he told me a simple true valid statement.
"In a office where there are shamless people working and you need to behave like a shameless people otherwise others will think that you are from different world.
No matter whatevery way to good way you try nothing will change."
No matter, how we change the infrastructure of the PF office, unless their attitude towards work changes. nothing will change. more