1. The current logic/algorithm of seat booking is not transparent at all. Because : For e.g.,
1. As soon as the bookings are opened, i.e. when the Advance Reservation ( 30 days/45 days etc) is opened for booking, most of the time (99%), the confirmed tickets/seats would be allotted near to both doors especially in Sleeper/AC Sleeper coaches ( i.e. allotted numbers would be 1-16 seats or 57 to 72 above the wheels)
2. Currently passengers can not choose berths between 17 to 56 if they would like to avail little more comfort.
3. The seats between 17 and 56 are mostly allotted to passengers either coming through agents are HQ/EQ recommendations and railway staff on duty who does not pay for it at all.
4. In summary, Railways get its money much early ( and also thereby some interest earned) the passengers who book early have been denied opportunity to avail berths of their choice even though they make payments earlier.
One solution that could make seat allocation transparent is :
1. Release and make available all the berths in sleeper coaches / AC coaches
2. For online bookings, display the seat lay out on the screen by coach (except for additional coach) like in bus bookings for all available tickets at the time of booking irrespective of General / Tatkal / Premium bookings.
3. Seat/Berth choice should be on first come first serve basis. And stop allocating high-comfort seats to traveling on duty staff ( because no payment for ticket and so no revenue out of their travel) /agents and EQ releases.
These points may be too trivial from Railways point of view but implementation of these would surely move towards Transparency in Railways' working.