Standards in Govt schools
The highlights of the views expressed are given below.
Different standards amongst students
• While the government schools have mix of students of different level of capability and some students perform quite well, the standards of the large segment of students in government schools remain below par.
Students live in stressful conditions :
• Almost all students studying in government and corporation schools belong to lower income group and live in stressful conditions facing social and economic hardships due to variety of reasons including the head of the family being a liquor addict in many cases. The living conditions in the family and in the surroundings are certainly not conducive for the students in the formative age group . With parents often not in a position to guide and discipline their children, quite a few of them appear to be not having any sense of direction and tend to misbehave .
Teachers well qualified and cannot be blamed largely :
• While the teachers in government schools are well qualified and quite a number of them are dedicated, there are also teachers who take the job lightly , as there is no system of rewards and punishments for the teachers.
Anachronism of promoting all students :
• In the name of encouraging the students from lower income group and deprived families to join government schools , the government has introduced an all pass system upto 9th standard which has killed the incentive for the students to study and equip themselves with requisite knowledge.
• In the absence of any check for promoting the students to higher class , the standard of an average student has fallen considerably. There are some students even in the fifth standard who cannot do even two digit addition and sometimes cannot even write one sentence in Tamil correctly. Even the standards of some student studying in higher classes are no better.
Freebies to the students :
• The government has been showering the students in government and corporation schools with large number of gifts including books, note books, shoes and chappals, cycles, laptops etc. apart from noon meal, some of which are unnecessary. As a result, mind set have developed amongst students expecting everything to come free from the government, which mind set they continue in their life even after passing out.
While good students use the laptops well, there are also students who sell it away.
Lack of punishment as deterrent :
• With the indiscipline becoming a common issue amongst section of school students and with the teachers not being in a position to impose deterrent punishments on misbehaving students, teachers often feel helpless and weak. It is even reported that the students attend classes in drunken state in isolated cases and girl students are sometimes harassed. It is extremely disturbing to read in newspapers that even teachers in some government schools have misbehaved occasionally with the girl students. Such incidents reflect the type of prevalent climate in some government schools.
Unrelated assignments for teachers :
• Government sometimes sends teachers in government and corporation schools to unrelated jobs such as taking census. In such event when teachers cannot take classes, students are left idle wasting their time and they indulge in unwanted activities.
Political interference :
• There is often political interference by local politicians in the affairs of the school insisting on one condition or the other and the teachers are scared to resist such demands.
Lack of consultation :
• Government often takes decisions with regard to affairs of the schools without due consultations with headmasters and teachers who are the stake holders. Such decisions sometimes happen to be misconceived. The bureaucrats appear to think that they know more about the issues faced in government and corporation schools than the teachers themselves.
Some poor parents opt for expensive private schools
• Of late, even some parents belonging to lower income group admit their children in private schools, as they believe that the future of the students studying in private schools would be better. The poor parents do this, even though they cannot afford to pay the high fees demanded by the private schools and in the process, the poor families drive themselves into debt burden.
Sons / daughters of government employees rarely in government schools :
• Employees in the government rarely send their sons and daughters to study in government and corporation schools. What does this show ?
All the parents should come up by discontinuing their children to schools irrespective of nature of the school. Untill unless:
Schools curriculum should be with Bharatam, Ramayanam and Bhagavadgeeta epics in their daily life with every aspect clearly explained.
Olden day subjects like Neethi Kathalu (Neeti stories) to be taught instead of today subjects without any knowledge.
Our technology is not higher or greater than Ravanasura pallaki which has flown from one place to other by airlifting Seeta devi and Hanuman flown to Srilanka in search of Seeta.
There are no wonders created than Pushpa Banam, Agni and others used by Arjuna educated from Dronacharya.
There wont be any more principles than Chanukya's Economics which we are going to introduce.
All that is like a Dosa rost, it is one side and now turning to another side.
Importantly every school be it International, National, Local, Municipal, Panchayat, Village school should inculcate with olden principles.
NCERT, CBSE, ICSE etc boards should rework on the curriculum's with compulsory subjects with Ramanayam, Maha Bharatam, Bhagavatam etc to educate students and leave their carrier in their hands with coloring shine. more
If government schools are short of teachers ,so are teachers at private schools are more as show off and not learned
My own experience and watching grandchildren who are paying@ lakhs per annum for junior classes in best of the schools and these schools are brands and not temple of learning
Every kid has a private tutor,class 1 onwards
I believe that the mothers are the best tutors ,at least for junior classes more
Schools are a pampered lot, the teachers are no better..!!.. Their main concern in school is about their 'seniority', their next pay revision, and others. MANY OF THEM ARE IN THEIR CHAIRS BECAUSE OF THEIR 'CONNECTIONS' AND ARE A TOTALLY DEMORALIZED LOT. IF AT ALL THEY TEACH, IT WOULD BE MOSTLY IN THEIR 'HOME TUTIONS' AS THEY FEEL THAT THAT THEIR PHYSICAL PRESENCE IN SCHOOL IN ENOUGH TO WARRANT THEIR MEASLY SALARY..!!.. more
1 No of students are more so personal attention to each student is not possible.
2 The teacher cannot go out of the routine.
3 Much more other Official work they has to do.
4 Result oriented new technology cannot be used though they want to introduce
5 As the up and down of the students in regards with the economy, level of the parents which affects the students quality has to
6. Political interfere is also the cause. more