Assuring availability of tickets all the time
1. id compulsory while issuing tickets
2. Advance Reservation Period (ARP) should be 30 days
3. Heavy cancellation charges like in Airlines (study the effect on waiting list, on trial basis, so that only serious/ assured passengers may book their ticket)
4. Rescheduling allowed on paying extra charges without cancelling the ticket.
5. Concept of some premium tickets during ARP, in addition to Tatkal tickets in regular trains. more
Strong punishment to Railway employees & officers those who are engaged them self in "Black ticketing" rackets with external agents. more
I very much agree to the first three points mentioned here, about id being compulsory, ARP of 30 days and high cancellation fees more
ID is must. But it is not practical to check the ID during issue of ticket. therefore it should not be during ticket issue. Rather It should be during ticket checking in the train.
rest all are OK more