Procurement Issues - Inputs on Root Causes
Otherwise, please help identify Root Causes to these Issues.
Procurement in Railways – Key Issues as outlined by citizens
1. The tenders are manipulated
2. Tenders are not opened publicly
3. There is a high level of corruption in procurement
4. Payments are not released without getting a cut
5. There are cartels for some types of work, especially those related to earth work, track laying etc.
6. Orders are given to bogus contractors
7. Sometimes goods are purchased for more than twice-thrice the time of its original value
8. Goods of inferior quality are supplied compared to what is mentioned in the purchase order
9. People operating the purchase department do not have in-depth knowledge of procurement
10. In centralized procurement, the purchasing power is left in the hands of a few individuals
11. In de-centralized procurement, the cost of the purchases becomes high
12. Often, more than required quantity of goods are purchased more