Overflowing Dust bins :Whose fault ?
This is a situation witnessed not only in the town I live . We have all read several posts , chats , complaining about similar conditions in several municipalities across India. So it is not related to particular municipality. Every one blames the citizens first . No doubt they generate and they do their duty to dump in the bins as instructed . Here also it has happened. They can’t keep trash in the kitchens .As it is, the Kitchens are rich sources offering feeding materials to all sorts of pests. Every citizen wants to keep the kitchens free from cockroaches , rodents and flies . More so with the non- vegetarians.
Most had opted for the last resort , penalizing those who do this. Is it justifiable ? No wonder a rule hasn’t come. The rule will bounce back on them.
WHAT IS THE REMEDY ? I strongly feel that it should start from the Municipalities’ side first before they exercise the right to penalize the citizens. There should be some officers and Engineers who are in charge for the municipality and several wards , AND HOPE IT IS NOT LEFT TO THE LAST GRADE WORKERS TO DECIDE .Swachh Bharat kindly visualize, correct some of the following suggestions:
My Humble suggestions :
1. Asses the amount of Garbage generated by the people in a street . This can’t be done sitting in the office making some calculations . GO TO EVERY DISTBIN BEFORE IT IS CLEARED ONLY THEN THE OFFICERS WILL KNOW IF THE NUMBER OF DUTBINS PLANNED BY THEM IS SUFFICIENT FOR THE CAPACITY OF GARBAGE TO BE PRODUCED BY THE RESIDENTS IN THE STREET.
2.Provide the exact number of dustbins required .
3.If big vehicle with facility to lift the bins hydraulically is not available for smaller streets , provide smaller humanly handle able bins by the municipality men.
4.For the sake of convenience to clear the bins by vans or humans don’t bunch the bins in front of one corner or a house . Let the vans and men go to several places to clear the smaller bins.
5. Rotate the placement of the bins to give relief for people staying close to the bins. The rotational placement should be clearly explained to the citizens.
6. Clearance of garbage should be based on the rate of accumulation or supply by the citizens and not on a once a day or one van basis.
7. Festival days , there will be debris from crackers , flowers , sweet and other packing materials will treble. Get ready for that. That’s when the monsoon is also active .
8. Make sure to fumigate the bins weekly to avoid te stink.
9.If Municipality officers are not able to handle the above , Swachh Bharat should provide expert advice through the members available in the circles.
10. SWACHH BHARAT SHOULD TRY WITH 100 COMPLIABLE [agreeable] MUNICIPALITIESFIRST AS SOON AS POSSIBLE ON WAR FOOTING BEFORE OCTOBER 1st ; AND GIVE US, THE CITIZENS A POOJA and DEEPAWALI GIFT. more