Minimizing Train Accidents than Bullet Trains
- The railways is carrying 15 times more people than its capacity, and overloading is damaging old tracks, for the repair of which investment is lacking.
- Indian trains are not equipped with proper safety and fire equipment.
- Lack of devices to automatically stop the train and anti-collision devices.
- As many as 18 of 21 accidents occur because of human error, fault of the driver and negligence of railway staff.
- Manual signalling system between stations is often at fault and must be replaced with automated ones.
- Unmanned crossings: 15,000 crossings out of 50,000 in India are unmanned. more