Improving State of Movies/Television - Addl Inputs
Below are the key issues, root causes and solutions for the state of Movies/Television in India.
Kindly review them and if you have any additional inputs, please share.
Soon, we will submit our whitepaper on the subject to Ministry of Information and Broadcasting and other stakeholders in the Government.
Thanks for your participation!
Improving State of Movies and Television in India
1. Movies and TV channels should also make motivational stories
2. Each movie and TV soap should have a viewer/content warning at the beginning and displayed throughout one the right hand top corner
3. Movies should promote the Indian culture too
4. Parental discretion is also important while children watch TV and movies
5. Paid media should be made illegal
6. News channels should work with ethics and not sensationalize news items
7. The censor board should be made stronger and should be given more powers
8. Corruption in censor board should be controlled through process, systems and whistle blower reporting
9. Guidelines issued by Ministry of Information and Broadcasting are old and should be reviewed
10. The ones flouting the rules should be strictly fined and sanctions should be imposed, if required
11. A lean team should be set up by the Government for giving ideas on bringing in innovation and future planning to movies and television industry
12. Government should give free hand to this body and should have journalist of international repute as rotating member of the panel
13. TV channels must give 2 hours per day for practical and useful education of the masses
14. A warning message should be shown every time there is smoking or drinking shown on TV/or in movies.
15. There should be a total ban on any kind of showing of pornography via video tapes/theaters.
State of Movies/TV - Key Root Causes
1. Movies and TV are all about viewership
2. They are intentionally made dramatic to attract more viewers
3. TV soaps try to play with the psyche of the viewers
4. At the end of the day, it is all business
5. Movies and TV serials are happy to promote any brand which gives them decent money
6. Corporates/businesses pay TV channels to project a good image of them
7. News channels try to be different than the other channels and cross their lines
8. The censor board does not have set standards of content suitable to our culture and country
9. There has been rampant corruption in film censor board
10. TV channels only care about their TPRs and do not think about the impact on society
11. There is a lack of set penalties/challans for the non-adhering ones
12. Paid media is fast becoming the norm
13. There is a lack of balance between freedom of expression and reasonable restriction through censorship
14. Lack of a regulatory authority for TV/news channels
15. There is no limit to advertising timings during a TV show
Movies and TV – Key Issues
1. Many times movies and TV show the bad side of people in a bad way
2. Many TV serials shows family quarreling and this affects the mind of the viewer
3. Movies are completely covered with the western culture
4. TV soaps show people having blind faith in black magic
5. Lot of violence shown even on cartoon channels
6. Some movie dialogues are quite crude and vulgar
7. Indian culture is shown to be disrespected in many movies and TV serials
8. Movies and TV soaps have started extensively marketing brands and products
9. Paid media on television is becoming a big problem
10. News channels most of the times sensationalize news
11. Movies show alcohol and cigarettes as a style statement
12. Too much of violence, sex, cheating, and conspiracies in fabricated stories are shown in the name of entertainment
13. Criminals are glorified. more
1. Uniform Civil Code for India
2. Illegal immigrants and foreigners staying in the country with out proper documentation.
3 Abolition of religion and caste based reservation in educational institutions and job reservation in Government services and èlsewhere
4. Removal of all subsidies phase by phase etc. more
2. Let there be total ban on Vulgarity. It does not represent Indian culture.
3. Great Melodies of yesteryear have disappeared. Movies based on great novels/stories have become a matter of past. They need to be revived. more
First stop the black money flow in this field. more
Wall posters pasted on walls and hoardings of films are put up with bad sceneries. Women (heroins and other ladies) are shown indecent way which may tempt youth leading to crimes. These things can be prevented by monitoring or "providing guidelines for printing banners and wall posters."
Even in news papers whatever advertisement given by film industry are published. This can also be controlled by talking and explaining to editors, the importance of taking care of those for the better of youth and society. more
If TV is telecasted continuously, everybody is watching, particularly students, though have studies/homework to complete.
Many youth are becoming addicted to watch TV for many hours together in a day, wasting their very valuable time which otherwise can be used for good purpose after getting guidance from teachers/parents/elders.
More importantly it shall reduce power consumption for each household.
It also helps indirectly in mitigation of Global Warming. Because every unit of power we consume generates Carbon Dioxide (CO2) from thermal power plants and it is the most responsible for Global Warming. more