For Improving Financial Health of Railways:
1. Railways need to improve their financial health also. There can be no free lunch. If originating and terminating destinations are taken, we can have an additional "Station Services User Charge" per ticket of say Rs5/- for Class A Cities, Rs 3/- for Class B and no charge thereafter. This fund should go to the concerned originating and terminating destination as per the ticket towards meeting cost of good quality service provision by the respective stations.
2. Railways should be re-organized into (a) Railway Track System (b) Railway Station Organization and (c) Maintenance Workshop (d) catering and ticketing etc. services. All trains would then like in airports pay track use charges and station halt charges. This would check needless halts. Bring re-focus on specific technical functions and improve services.
3. At every station, the location of the coach and coach number should be displayed to facilitate easy boarding by passengers.
4. Discounted fares upto a certain bar should be provided in case the seats are vacant. This will ensure greater occupancy.
5. Where ever new metros are being planned, "key artery routes" of big cities should have "double capacities" else they become overcrowded and are unable to handle peek load demands as in the case of Mumbai and Delhi.
Azad Verma more