Encroachment Problems Solution.
2. Regular Dabas on the pavements [who mostly throw the litter into the storm water drains which clogs the drain and causes flooding and spread of disease 3. Vegetable, juice sellers and fruit vendors who take major part of the foot path and road side. 4. Bus stops are favourite spots for encroachment for vendors and juice sellers.
4. Government departments mainly Electricity board , corporation and Telephone departments chose wrong places and out of size Junction boxes that abut the pavement gives an ideal chance for the Encroachers to start their business.
5. Un cleared construction materials on the foot path and roadsides.
6. Piling of vehicles seized by transport department [Cars, motor bikes, SUV’s and other big vehicles] are left anywhere convenient to the authorities ,causing nuisance to the traffic flow. That offers place to attend to natures calls and other nefarious activities.
6.Putting up fenced Garden ; wealthy individuals / companies put up plants ,trees right along or part of their fence on the public property .7. Parking of vehicles in the pavement . Many reports have come in the press about these places turning out to be safe havens for the criminals, anti socials for various nefarious activities.
All these have to be identified and nipped in the bud ; rather than wait for the PIL petitions “Traffic Ramasamy “ and drag the case. Law and rules are the weapons for the authorities to act . They need not wait for the public to file a PIL and wait for a court order ; they are also part of public and Government servants. The court order to demolish indicates dereliction of duty.
”The Hindu” News Paper inviting Photos and articles last July had a good response from readers. There was good response from the Establishment / authorities ; but short lived. They expect spoon feeding. Establishment / authorities don’t have the nerve to do it themselves / other factors may also be there.
Solutions: 1. Establishments / authorities should take note of encroachments of various types and take action ; if public suggests it becomes a complaint and a black mark on the Establishment / authority .
2. Media to encourage public to come out with photos and articles to specify the location [they can pass on to the concerned departments / officials for action and response]
3. Take a survey streetwise , area wise and send notices warnings, followed by Stringent measures to stop this practice by the establishment, rather than wait for a Traffic Ramasamy’s PIL petition It is the duty of the government to see encroachments are removed and the space restored for the public.
4. Road side worship places should be prevented from mushrooming ; the sentiments of our gullible public should not be allowed to be exploited. Existing ones should be removed irrespective of the religion
5. Stop Vehicles being parked on the foot path.
6. Government Departments [E.B , corporation, and telephone department ] should remove the materials thrown around the roads / streets /footpath eating away the space for traffic, movement of pedestrians. An electrical junction box on the foot path encourages the trader knock off that portion of space and maintain for his / her business.
7. Transpot & Police piling up seized cars, motorbikes, vehicles . Either decide and dispose or shift to places that doesn’t hinder free movement of traffic and pavements . Many reports have come in the press about these places turning out to be safe havens for the criminals, anti socials for various nefarious activities.
8. Build places exclusively for the vendors as done in Chennai , T. Nagar area so that allow them to do make a lively hood.
9. If there is concern about the pavement vendors train them to keep the carts off the pavement specify some spots only from there transact business.They have to collect the garbage cooking as well as the leftovers and dispose only in specific place.
10.Have a platform / toll free number to take down complaints of new encroachment that it could be nipped in the bud. That should be recorded with a number as done in Telephones [After this what a change in attending to the phone complaints] They also record what ever is attended to successfully. Very often the authorities go on a drive and report that so many removed with photographs , and think that their duty is over. Here the help line will keep them on the move and alert that it is not repeated so that pavements are restored for pedestrians . ENCROACHMENT IS AN ONGOING AFFAIR,
SO SHOULD BE THE REMEDIES AN ONGOING FUNCTION.
11. Public participation and assistance will go a long way in making the dream, S.B.M. of Shree NAMO materialize. Jai Hind. more