BRINDAVAN EXPRESS TUR ..
The Chennai Bangalore (now Bengaluru) BRINDHAVAN EXPRESS , the then Prestigious one of yester years, completed 55 years in Oct ’19. 1964 – Steam Engine took7 ½ , then in 1966 Dieselized Engine taking 5 ½ hrs, in 1991 Electrified 5 ¼ hrs to haul 362 KM . Now it takes 6 hrs. due to the 13 stops compared to the early stops of 3, Katpadi, Jolarpet & Cantonment . But now it serves more passengers from smaller stations also .
* Brindavan was painted green with yellow lines that looked elegant and welcome ; particularly in contrast to the then existing colour of the compartments appearing dour reddish , brownish colour .
* It was also the fastest train in Indian Railways then . It had a grandiose dignified look as it sped through the Countryside (with “ O “plastic).
* Brindavan used to be on TIME as mentioned in the Tamil weekly “ANANDA VIKATAN“ that people used to set their Watches at 19.45 on arrival at Chennai .
* The passengers were ALLOWED STRICTLY ON RESERVATION . LIKE READERS TO LOOK AT THE STANDING CROWD .This isn’t weekend or Festival crowd (It was on Tuesday the 28th January )
* The train had A/C Chair cars then, discarded 6 years back to create Clientele for the “DOUBLE DECKER “ Train that leaves just 20 minutes before to the same destination.
SOME ONES IDEA TO REPLACE ONE PRESTIGIOUS TRAIN WITH ANOTHER ? INSTEAD OF BETTERING THE EXISTING ONE .
* Pantry Car was there catering clean , healthy , tasty food – Now removed to give way to contractors , who block the doors of the compartment , adding misery to the passengers getting in and out . HAVING REMOVED THE PANTRY CAR , CAN’T THE RAILWAYS PROVIDE PLACE FOR THE CATERER TO STOCK THE ENTIRE FOOD, SNACKS, SOFT DRINKS, TEA , COFFE AND WATER for the 362 KM journey for the entire Train .
* Today about 800 Million Indians are using mobile phones ; THE RAILWAYS NEED TO PROVIDE CHARGING POINTS IN THIS ONCE PRESTIGIOUS TRAIN NEAR THE SEATS AS WELL AS NEAR THE TOILETS.
The bone of contention isn’t the number of stopping or the extra hour taken at all , as it serves more people from smaller towns . But,
An Extraordinary , superb Train needn’t be turned into mediocre, ordinary, one . The very name Brindavan was christened after the Grand Gardens in Mysore .
WE SEEK ATTENTION TO BRING THE GLORY BACK TO BRINDAVAN.
Readers kindly don’t misunderstand , as I feel this is one more brick to Make Railways Better . more