AT SOURCE WASTE MANAGEMENT TO REDUCE LOAD ON LANDFILLS
Mobile: 09774515474 more
FORWARDING COMMUNITY WASTE MANAGEMENT IN INDIA- INTRODUCTION OF SEGREGATION IN RESIDENTIAL AREAS:
Conduct waste segregation awareness programs in local schools.
- Demonstration of waste segregation (through Short Skits etc)
- Explaining the importance of waste segregation and waste management ( dangers caused, benefits, probable future if no action is taken, current situation)
- Creating a structure for waste management in the schools such that schools can be the starting point where waste management is made a culture in the lives of our families.
Rationale: Children are the Key to change. Bringing awareness and change among children is the key to bringing change in families.
CREATING A ENVIRONMENT WHERE WASTE SEGREGATION HAS A PRACTICAL SUPPORT STRUCTURE IN COMMUNITIES
- Creating collection points for collection of dry waste( ie: where people can sell their paper, plastic, glass, tins etc this makes it profitable for people and gives them an incentive to segregate their waste)
- Creating support for composting in communities locally.
- Creating support for collecting hazardous waste and segregating them ( we need places that can take care of hazardous waste, these wastes need to be collected periodically or we need to have places where it is collected)
- Selling of dry recyclable profit generating waste can be managed
- Creating a structure where medical and inert waste can be incinerated(need to enroll BBMP into this possibility)
- Introducing a system where organic waste is disposed of by wrapping it in paper
- Introducing reusable bottles for milk distribution.
- Creating a structure for offices
Rationale: Locally segregating the waste in micro level is proven to be the most effective and safe method
ENVIRONMENT TO BE CREATED AT A CITY/ COUNTRY LEVEL
- Introduction of a policy for India such that producers and packagers are discouraged from making environment unfriendly packaging and introduce recycling and are also made to take responsibility for the management of the waste their products produce. (Grune punkt is a policy where both consumers and producers are made to take responsibility for the waste they generate such that un required waste is prevented. Producers are charged based on the type of waste they produce and the cost it takes to recycle it)
- Introduction of large scale plastic, glass, tin, electronic and other types of waste recycling companies.
Rationale: To create an environment of prevention since prevention of waste is the best way to combat waste problems