Addressing Littering - Addl Inputs
Swachh Bharat Mission
Addressing Littering in India
1. A fine of Rs.200 should be imposed on littering
2. Flying squads should be put together which are led by municipality officials and supported by local area volunteers from community/NGOs
3. Spots should be identified within the city and flying squads should be authorized to penalize the offenders
4. The flying squad lead should be given GPS enabled handheld for collecting fines, just like the traffic police
5. These penalties should be linked with the Adhaar/Driving License/Voter Identification Number etc. of the person
6. The squad should be paid 1-5% of the collected fine as incentive and travel reimbursement
7. The fine amount should increase to Rs.500 for repeat offenders
8. Repeat offenders should be asked to go for community service
9. RWAs could be given the authority to fine residents and vendors who litter in the colony
10. The collections done by the RWAs should be submitted with the authorities on a monthly basis
11. If a person is caught putting pan/tobacco stains on market walls etc., the flying squad should also have the authority to ask them to clean. more
1. Use of police force assisted by police dogs in crowded locations.
2. Used of CCTV at most likely places.
3. Use of police force in civil dress for trapping by surprise.
4. Arrangement to trace and penalize the vehicles involved.
5. Fine by bus conductor on involved passengers and handing over to police.
6. Carrying of photo id mandatory for all citizens, which will help for penalizing.
7. Simple reporting or FIR facility by empowering common citizen for helping in reporting. more