Preparing for Water Logging: Action Request
Please call upon your municipal commissioner, or other area officials and set up time to ensure they are aware of the same.
Also, if you have additional inputs on what cities can do now to be better prepared for rains, do share them.
We look forward to your inputs!
Solutions identified by citizens to address Water Logging:
1. A year-long maintenance schedule should be made to clean and desilt the drains and prepare them for the rainy season
2. Citizens should be trained on not throwing the garbage in the drains
3. The storm water drainage system should be refurbished
4. Roads which get water logged every season should be identified and water pumps should be installed clear the water
5. The broken pumps in underpasses and subways should be immediately repaired/changed
6. Roads should be made with the right slope so that the rain water could automatically slide down the drains
7. The good drainage systems of modern cities like New York should be studied and the findings should be implemented in Indian cities
8. More gardens and parks should be made so that the excess water could be absorbed.
9. The capacity of the drains should be increased
10. Roads dug should not be left open for more than 48 hours and proper barricading should be done to prevent accidents
11. A helpline should be started where citizens could report instances of water logging
12. Road maintenance should be carried out throughout the year
13. The civic agencies should be made accountable towards their work by introducing technology, community interface, citizen rating and reporting
14. The inter department coordination between civic agencies should be strengthened
15. For the violations for non-compliance by the developers apart from the penalties levied, the non-compliance should be removed
16. Road sanitation employees should make sure there are no plastic bags or clogging of drains
17. Manholes should have locks which can only be opened by the municipal employees. more
a great extent. The under/non-performing officials should be dismissed from service as mere suspension followed by reinstatement is no punishment but simply a wastage of time and money. more
Where the roads are damaged, immediate repair of the damaged portions should be taken up.Local public should be allowed to take up the repair work with the maximum cost to be incurred specified.(2) In low-lying areas, excess water in water-;logged areas may be sucked by use of motors into mobile tanks and may be let into the nearet water-body, (3) Similar action may be taken in low-lying areas of each colony. From such water-bodies, water may be pumped to water parks and private gardens. more