They were once compared with Scotland Yard and now it had degraded due to politics & political leaders influences.
------- Edited on 2017-12-06 -------
How Kolkata Police can improve their services. I agree with Mr. Sumit Desai who had highlighted few points and by addressing these points there's a lot that can be changed. Kolkata Police has to improve their image in front of the public and not to any political leader’s or goons.
1. Bus Drivers always racing and risking lives of passengers and pedestrians which needs to be measured closely and take strict actions against such traffic violators.
2. Helmet for two wheel drive is mandatory for all, including minorities except Sikhs wearing turbans. Stringent actions and law to be enforced against violators.
3. The GD and FIRs to be computerised to make it more accessible.
4. There must be CC-TVs cameras which is to be monitored by Headquarter for every Police Stations to ensure proper handling of citizen's complain.
5. The physical fitness of many police personnel is way below par and needs immediate deliberation.
6. Cleanliness at all Police Stations including lockups.
7. Up to date of vehicular fleets for KP for better enhanced servicing.
8. Criminals are not as much frightened of the police, only the common citizens do, owing to the high-handedness. Needs serious
9. There must be corrective actions which will allow the citizens to avoid mistakes and thus reduction in traffic violations can be seen.
10. There must be implementation of stringent action and operation of law for all politically affiliated entities - especially with regards to traffic, street-vending, extortion and vandalism.
However there are several other reforms which needs to be implemented which will in turn benefit Kolkata Police services. To me another important association would be the citizen’s responsibility towards i.e us towards the society and to help Kolkata Police.