Unscrupulous Practices by Leading Physicians!
I don't feel like believing this bewildering state of medical affairs- but then it appears true !
So much for the Hypocratic Oath!!! I don't have any doubt that swindlers exist in western medical businesses also. After all, due diligence has gone the way of the DODO?? Fattening of one's wallets is the practised norm in societies of today. I do realise that there will be the exceptions but for these souls one would need a microscope to ferret them out.
Surprisingly, I have just started reading a novel THE DEATH OF MITALI DOTTO written by Dr.Anirban Bose who teaches and practises medicine at the University of Rochester. The novel takes the lid off corrupt and unscrupulous practises being indulged in by doctors and fancy medical tourism hospitals and nursing homes sprouting up all over India.
Dr B M Hegde writes:
Doctors, regarded as most noble, have all become ruthless businessmen . These details are direct from the mouth of a highly qualified and respected medical professional doctor himself!
10 ways how doctors in India loot patients
New Delhi, Sept 10 : A renowned physician Dr B M Hegde has shown how a large number of doctors working in five-star hospitals short change patients in order to keep their management happy and enrich their own pockets.
Here is what Dr B M Hegde writes:
"Most of these observations are either completely or partially true.
Corruption has many names, and the civil society isn't innocent either.
Professionals and businessmen of various sorts indulge in unscrupulous practices. I recently had a chat with some doctors, surgeons and owners of nursing homes about the tricks of their trade. Here is what they said..........
1) 40-60% kickbacks for lab tests.
When a doctor (whether family doctor / general physician, consultant or surgeon) prescribes tests - pathology, radiology, X-rays, MRIs etc. the laboratory conducting those tests gives commissions. In South and Central Mumbai -- 40%. In the suburbs north of Bandra -- a whopping 60 per cent! He
probably earns a lot more in this way than the consulting fees that you pay.
2) 30-40% for referring to consultants, specialists surgeons.
When your friendly GP refers you to a specialist or surgeon, he gets 30-40%.
3) 30-40% of total hospital charges.
If the GP or consultant recommends hospitalizations, he will receive kickback from the private nursing homes as a percentage of all charges including ICU, bed, nursing care, surgery.
4) Sink tests Some tests prescribed by doctors are not needed. They are there to inflate bills and commissions.
The pathology lab understands what is unnecessary. These are called "sink tests"; blood, urine, stool samples collected will be thrown.
5) Admitting the patient to "keep him under observation".
People go to cardiologists feeling unwell and anxious. Most of them aren't really having a heart attack, and cardiologists andfamily doctors are well aware of this. They admit such safe patients, put them on a saline drip with mild sedation, andsend them home after 3-4 days after charging them a fat amount for ICU, bed charges, visiting doctors fees.
6) ICU minus intensive care.
Nursing homes all over the suburbs are run by doctor couples or as one-man-shows. In such places, nurses and ward boys are 10th class drop-outs in ill-fitting uniforms and bare feet. These "nurses" sit at the reception counter, give injections and saline drips, perform ECGs, apply dressings and change bandages, and assist in the operation theatre.
At night, they even sit outside the Intensive Care Units; there is no resident doctor. In case of a crisis, the doctor --
who usually lives in the same building -- will turn up after 20 minutes, after this nurse calls him. Such ICUs admit safe patients to fill up beds. Genuine patients who require emergency care are sent elsewhere to hospitals having a Resident Medical Officer (RMO) round-the-clock.
7) Unnecessary caesarean surgeries and hysterectomies.
Many surgical procedures are done to keep the cash register ringing.
Caesarean deliveries and hysterectomy (removal of uterus) are high on the list. While the woman with labour-pains is screaming and panicking, the obstetrician who gently suggests that caesarean is best seems like an angel sent by God! Menopausal women experience bodily changes that make them nervous and gullible. They can be frightened by words like "and fibroids" that are in almost every normal woman's radiology reports. When a gynaecologist gently suggests womb removal "as a precaution", most women and their husbands agree without a second's thought.
8) Cosmetic surgery advertised through newspapers.
Liposuction and plastic surgery are not minor procedures. Some are life-threateningly major. But advertisements make them appear as easy as facials and waxing. The Indian medical council has strict rules against such misrepresentation.
But nobody is interested in taking action.
9) Indirect kickbacks from doctors to prestigious hospitals.
To be on the panel of a prestigious hospital, there is give-and-take involved. The hospital expects the doctor to refer many patients for hospital admission. If he fails to send a certain number of patients, he is quietly dumped. And so he likes to admit patients even when there is no need.
10) "Emergency surgery" on dead body.
If a surgeon hurriedly wheels your patient from the Intensive Care Unit to the operation theatre, refuses to let you go inside and see him, and wants your signature on the consent form for "an emergency operation to save his life", it is likely that your patient is already dead. The "emergency operation" is for inflating the bill; if you agree for it,
the surgeon will come out 15 minutes later and report that your patient died on the Operation table. And then, when you take delivery of the dead body, you will pay OT charges, anesthesiologist's charges, blah-blah-Doctors are humans too. You
can't trust them blindly.
Please understand the difference.
Young surgeons and old ones.
The young ones who are setting up nursing home etc. have heavy loans to settle. To pay back the loan, they have to perform as many operations as
possible. Also, to build a reputation, they have to perform a large number
of operations and develop their skills. So, at first, every case seems fit
for cutting. But with age, experience and prosperity, many surgeons lose
their taste for cutting, and stop recommending operations.
Physicians and surgeons.
To a man with a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. Surgeons like to solve medical problems by cutting, just as physicians first seek solutions with drugs. So, if you take your medical problem to a surgeon first, the chances are that you will unnecessarily end up on the operation table. Instead, please go to an ordinary GP first
[Prof. B. M. Hegde, MD, FRCP, FRCPE, FRCPG, FRCPI, FACC, FAMS. Padma Bhushan
Awardee 2010.Editor-in-Chief, The Journal of the Science of Healing
Outcomes,Chairman, State Health Society's Expert Committee, Govt. of Bihar,
Patna.Former Prof. Cardiology, The Middlesex Hospital Medical School,
University of London, Affiliate Prof. of Human Health, Northern Colorado] more
they are not doctors
they are the agent of Govt through diagnostic Centers and Pharma Companies
commented on the Post
VINOD wrote: "TO TOP THE ABOVE THERE ARE DOCTORS WHO WOULD LIKE TO PLAY
WITH THE HEALTH OF PATIENT JUST TO MAKE MORE MONEY OR TAME HIM/HER FOR THE
LIFE LONG TREATMENT. THE ADOPT THE FOLLOWING TATICS: 1. PROLONG THE
TREATMENT PERIOD. THEY WILL GO SLOW ON THE TREATMENT. FIRST PRESCRIBING
1. PROLONG THE TREATMENT PERIOD. THEY WILL GO SLOW ON THE TREATMENT. FIRST PRESCRIBING SOME MILD USELESS MEDICINES AND PRESCRIBING A LONG LIST OF PATHOLOGICAL TESTS. ON THE SECOND OR THIRD VISIT THE REAL TREATMENT WILL START. IN THE PROCESS THE DOCTOR HAS EARNED COMMISSION FOR THE TESTS AND REPEATED CONSULTATION FEES. HE HAS SUCCEEDED IN KEEPING HIS WAITING ROOM BOOMING WITH PATIENTS AND GIVING IMPRESSION OF A SUCCESSFUL DOCTOR.
2. UNNECESSARY SPECIALIST CONSULTATIONS AND MRI SCANNING. THE MOTIVE IS AGAIN TO GET FAT COMMISSION PACKETS.
3. TAMING THE PATIENT FOR LIFE. THEY WILL PRESCRIBE THE STRONGEST POSSIBLE MEDICINE. THE PATIENT WILL GET CURED QUICKLY. THE PATIENT WILL BE HAPPY AT FIRST, WITHOUT REALIZING THAT NOW ON WARDS HE WILL NOT BE CURED BY MILDER MEDICINES. EVEN IF HE GOES TO ANOTHER DOCTOR, WHO IN ALL LIKELIHOOD WILL START WITH THE MILDER MEDICINE, THE PATIENT WILL NOT GET CURED. HE WILL HAVE TO RETURN TO THE EARLIER DOCTOR FOR TREATMENT AND WILL GET TAMED FOR LIFE. THE PATIENT WILL HAVE TO FACE DIRE CONSEQUENCES IN CASE OF EMERGENCIES, WHEN EVEN THE STRONGEST MEDICINES WILL NOT WORK WELL.
4. STEROID DOCTORS: ANOTHER WAY OF TAMING PATIENTS IS PUSHING STEROID IN THE PRESCRIPTION. STEROIDS ARE FOR EMERGENCY TREATMENTS, BUT ARE ABLE TO CURE ANY AILMENT FAST. THE DOCTORS, ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PROVIDE POWDERED MEDICINE TO PATIENTS, PUSH STEROIDS IN THE MIXTURE. THE PATIENT WILL GET VERY FAST RELIEF IN THE BEGINNING, BUT WILL GET USED TO THE STEROIDS AND WILL HAVE TO BEAR THE SIDE EFFECTS. more
You are right
But who will help the public
I am confident that AK only will help the public
commented on the Post
M C wrote: "The above scenario seems to be the same in the case of Legal
professions too. The lawyers become the suckers by delaying tactics used in
every stage of the case and the disputing parties become the 'milking cows'
shelling out hefty fees. There must be a need to fix the 'standard fee' more
Yes you seem to be right
But do you know that as on date the biggest LOOT in country as well in
society is in the name so called RWAs
Having no shame , no ethic only loot and loot
May you please start some good honest and work involved some hard and
Do not feel guilty , just try to discuss and understand
commented on the Post
Ramesh wrote: "Towards the above scenario somehow our administration and
public is also responsible. There is no admv instructions/guidelines for
pvt hospitals/nursing homes for how much they charge towards
tests/operations/procedures etc. You cannot ask about any reduction/less in
bill made by these hospitals because they have so many excuses like the
patient was in mor