Transforming Picky Eaters
10 "rules" for parents:
As parents, we will be good role models. We will only ask the kids to eat foods that we are willing to eat ourselves.
As parents, we will decide what foods are offered, when, and where. As kids, we will decide of the food that is offered, what we will eat and how much.
We will value the process of learning to be more adventurous eaters. We will be willing to try new foods, even if it is just a tiny bite.
We do not have to clean our plates. We will listen to our bodies and let hunger be our guide.
We will not offer food rewards. In other words, we do not have to ‘eat our vegetables’ in order to get dessert. We will not reward good behavior with sweets and ‘treats’.
Mealtimes are a family affair. As often as we can, we will shop, cook, and eat together.
We are one family, and we will eat one meal. We will not make separate meals. But we will be sure to include at least one thing each family member likes at each meal.
We will learn together about food, nutrition, farming, and cooking.
We will have fun, play, and experiment with new foods.
We will be consistent in following these rules, but not rigid. more
Very valuable tips. But I would like to add, do not force the food down their throat. Maintain a pleasant atmosphere and pretty good mood while cooking, while serving and while eating. more
1. Before cursing the children, consider who their role models were.
2. The best gift that you can give to your children is love their mother.
3. Your children will follow your example not your advice.
4. Yelling blocks development of children brain.
5. Spare the rod and spoil the child. more
2. Make some fixed timings for breakfast, lunch, dinner.
3. Imbibe a habit of taking food with entire family.
4. Emphasize importance of green vegetables, salads, fruits in eating habit as part of routine.
5. Water at regular intervals but not with food (except in very hot seasons)
6. Imbibe a habit of taking back plates, glasses etc. after finishing food to kitchen wash basin.
7. Imbibe a habit in kids not to accept any food or eating item without permission of their parents.
8. Imbibe a habit in kids not to leave anything in their plates.
9. A habit of proper chewing the food should be taught to kids.
10. Teach them what is a balanced & nutritious food. more