SWINE FLU FACTS WE MUST KNOW
Here are the top 10 facts you should know about the disease:
1. Swine flu or H1N1 type A influenza is transmitted from people and NOT from pigs or swines. Here’s how you can prevent the spread of H1N1.
2. If you have normal immunity, you may not be prone to swine flu.
3. People who are at high-risk include very young children, pregnant women, diabetics, people with heart conditions and those whose immune systems may be weak and compromised.
4. Sudden fever of more than 100 degree Fahrenheit, fatigue, chills,headaches, cough and sneezing, sore throat, diarrhoea, loss of appetite are some of the symptoms of swine flu.
5. One cannot exactly know that he/she is suffering from swine flu because the symptoms are very similar to regular flu. If you have very high fever for more than a day or two, sudden breathlessness, you should contact your doctor immediately. However,the headache, body-ache and loss of energy sensation are severer in Swine Flu, as compared to many strains of common flu. Common Flu is self curing and provides automatic immunity against the particular type/strain of Flu.
6. If you already have fever, it’s better to stay at home in order to prevent the disease from spreading. Always cover your face while coughing and sneezing. Avoid touching your face, nose and eyes often. It can also spread through inanimate objects like the mobile phone, laptop etc. which we end up frequently using. So, it’s better to avoid using others’ belongings. In case of sore throat, gargle with warm salt water. Even otherwise, frequent warm water gargles will keep the mouth,throte and nose clean and prevent the virus entering the body.
7. It is possible to prevent swine flu. Maintain your health and immunity well. Eat healthy food, get good sleep, avoid stress. Avoid visiting crowded public places if you can. If you do visit them, wash your hands and feet well. Better still, just take a shower. Taking Giloy Ghanwati is very effective in increasing immunity. Taking a concentration (Khaara) of Tarmaric, Cloves, Black Pepper, Dalchini, Giloy, Tulsi, Green Illachi and Mullatti is very effective in increasing immunity and as treatment of initial conditions. Keeping a green illachi in mouth will be helpful.
8. Though injectable vaccines (Influvac, Agrippal, Vaxigrip, Vaxiflu-S and Fluarix) against swine flu are available, the Government has ruled out universal vaccination for now and has recommended that it may be used only for people who are actively treating the swine flu patients (doctors and other medical practitioners). In some countries swine flu vaccination is given to all children, as part of vaccination program.
9. Swine flu can only be diagnosed for sure in labs. It is diagnosed by identifying the particular antigens associated with the virus type. In general, this test is done in a specialized laboratory and is not done by many doctors’ offices or hospital laboratories. However, doctors’ offices are able to send specimens to specialized laboratories if necessary. Government has published list of Hospitals and Test Labs where the patients can approach for help. The mobile numbers of nodal doctors, responsible for the area has also been published.
10. There are certain antiviral drugs which help treat swine flu – Zanamivir (Relenza) and Oseltamivir (Tamiflu).One should take these only with a doctor’s prescription since indiscriminate use could lead to resistance to the virus. The patient will need to hospitalized, isolated and put on a ventilator in severe cases. more