Make fire clearance mandatory for all commercial buildings
Whose responsibility is it today to check? MCD, Fire Dept?? Kaam karte hi nahin ya paise le ke chup baithte hain? more
We have to pragmatically design our laws so that basic compliance becomes within the reach. All the requirements should be designed to facilitate MSME and his capabilities.
1. Unnecessary and irrelevant requirements such as approved building plans, water storage tanks etc. must not be insisted upon.
2. Fire safety compliance certificate must be issued by chartered engineer who inspects the building and certifies, similar to structural safety certificate accepted by municipal agencies and being issued by structural engineers. The concerned architect will recommend structural changes for easy exit of persons and also guide for installation of preventive firefighting equipment.
3. Fire safety equipment should be as per requirements of the property with respect to stored material and process of manufacturing.
4. Periodic fire safety audit report should be made mandatory.
5. Periodic training for usage of firefighting equipment and emergency exits should be made mandatory.
6. The focus of authority should be to make fire compliance easy so that every building owner is able to get it.
7. Most of the accidents are caused by electrical short circuits. Electrical engineer should be a part of the team and wiring fault should be contained by safety devices which should be made mandatory.
Today more than 90% of buildings don’t have fire NOC due to archaic rules. Moreover accountability should be on both, the entrepreneur and the inspecting agency. more
I don't blame individuals. Its the MCD and DDA authorities as well as fire dept personnel who are getting paid monthly salary to enforce safety. And on the contrary, they are taking bribes to put lives at risk. more