Inflated MRP: Inputs on Issues
We look forward to your inputs on this issue.
Dept of Consumer Affairs
Inflated MRP issues as raised by consumers
1. Some manufacturers tend to print inflated MRPs on their products and then offer discounts
2. In some cases, retailers demand that manufacturers print higher MRP so that they could rake in more profits
3. Many products with high MRPs are sold at a much lower cost in the market
4. Many consumers who are caught unaware are charged MRP on such products
5. Products like fire crackers, sanitary ware, hardware, electronic items like mobile phones, washing machines, apparel, etc. are some products which are sold at a much lower price than the MRP
6. Some vendors also give a discount on the inflated MRP and then charge a tax on the discounted price which is an unethical practice
7. There is limited government intervention to set up pricing mechanism
8. Traders at times cover the MRP printed on the items with stickers carrying a higher MRP. more
2. Most of the e-Commerce site dint display MRP on their site.
3. MRP is not available for Train ticket/Air Ticket/Bus ticket.
4. MRP calculation should be shared with GOVT. more