Here are 10 ways you too can lose 40 kilos...
1) Take the stairs. Never ever use short cuts. I hop, skip and jump to the stairs even if I have to reach the 18th floor.
2) Exercise control over what you are eating. I do go to malls and food courts – smell the food that was the biggest stress reliever for me a year back – and come back challenged, knowing that my mind is strong enough to handle this.
3) Sweat is good. That moment when I have sweat trickling down my body after running 15kms, be it morning or night, is the biggest high I get.
4) Avoid everything white – white bread, maida, milk, salt, rice, and sugar. Replace with steamed, grilled green vegetables and fish with olive oil. Avoid aerated, packaged drinks and junk food. Avoid everything that comes out of a packet.
5) I have increased the quality of the food that goes into my body and reduced the quantity, ensuring I have food every two hours.
6) Invest in your health – treat your body like it’s your best friend, respect it, love it, adore it. I always wanted to see how I would look in a life size mirror minus the lard around my stomach. The weighing machine, from being my enemy, became my friend in arms.
7) Be inspired – inspiration comes from within. I am not inspired by anyone and I am only inspired by myself. I never ever gave up on myself, to the point of being stubborn and determined to turn things around come what may. I hate the word ‘luck’. Losing weight and staying fit cannot be achieved by just being lucky. It’s about having complete faith and trust in yourself more than anyone else and doing everything with determination, discipline and loads of passion.
8) I am a teetotaller and avoid anything addictive. I have replaced my tea and coffee with green tea.
9) Use your ego as a positive trait to stay fit. The high you get when you get into clothes that are really old (I now fit into clothes that used to fit me 15 years ago) makes it worthwhile to keep running all your life.
10) Losing 40 kilos in a year from 46 inches on the waist to 80 kilos and 32 inches is possible. It’s all about the fight between the mind and the body and you have to get your mind to win.
– Shekhar Vijayan more