Foods that lead to cancer
2. Highly salted foods: Regular consumption of highly salted foods can lead to stomach cancer.
3. Charred meats: High heat plus red meat produces DNA damaging heterocyclic amines and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Avoid smoked meats. Cook meat on medium heat, flipping at intervals.
4. Processed & smoked meats: Chemicals present in red meat and those produced on processing such as nitrosoamines, besides the nitrates used as preservatives can lead to bowel cancer.
Also read: Top 6 Processed Foods You Should Definitely Avoid
5. Microwavable popcorn: The bag of microwavable popcorns is lined with perfluoro-octanoicacid (PFOA) which is a likely carcinogen. So make your popcorns the traditional way.
6. Hydrogenated fats: change the shape of cellular membranes and promote the growth of abnormal cells.
7. Sodas: Sodas are a deadly concoction of harmful colors, preservatives loaded with tonnes of sugar and hidden sugars.
8. Artificial sweeteners: Switching to artificial sweeteners to save some calories is not a wise decision either. Several studies have shown a link between artificial sweeteners and cancer risk in lab studies. More research is required to fully establish the relationship in humans. However, their regular use is associated with metabolic disorders.
9. Piping hot foods: These have been associated with a greater risk of esophageal cancer.
10. Alcohol: Several studies have established the link between alcohol intake and cancer though the exact mechanism is not understood. It could be through promoting weight gain. Moderation in consumption is critical to minimize its damaging effects. more