I am looking for your valuable feedback for my teeth issue.
I am 50 years old. I have 5 teeth extracted doctor suggested to go for either bridge or implant. Which option is better?
I am aware of that the implants or costly and takes 4 months for treatment, with bone operation etc.
Regarding bridge it is hygienic?, no bad breathe, and long lasting (Doctor said it is good for 5 to 6 years)
Please provide your valuable feedback.
Thanks in advance
I live in Bangalore and making assessment to decide what is good option to go for treatment of my five teeth. Your inputs gives more insight and helpful.
1. Bridge will last for 6-10 years. Should we need to do replacement of bridge again after the old bridge are not usable. OR what procedures are recommended.
- All materials have a normal wear and tear over time because of chewing forces, brushing, acidic and thermal changes due to foods, etc. After that a new bridge can be placed provided the Abutment teeth ( The teeth on which the bridge is supported by caps) are strong enough to support a new bridge.
2. In case of Implant when (not sure implant longevity) becomes not usable for any reasons, is the similar surgical procedures etc needed?
- Implants have shown a success rate of more than 90% at 10 years. The crown over the implant may need to be changed for reason cited above. In case the implant fails, a new implant may be placed depending upon clinical situation or the old implant removed and a bridge can be made.
3. Regarding bridges Does it cause bad breath due to food gets accumulated at the interface between gums and bridge base. Though I keep take care by brushing, rinsing after any food consumption. Do I need to take any special care?
- If done properly, that should not be a problem in most cases.
4. The bridges are supported by capped healthy natural teeth after cutting/filing off the top layer. Does these natural teeth gets decayed, at the bottom due to food particles deposits. And this needs replacement.
- If planned and executed well, this should not be a problem in most cases. It usually ocuurs when the crown margins are not fitting perfectly with the natural teeth leaving some space for food to get entrapped. Once food entrapment occurs, the bridge is bound to fail sooner or later. (Thats where clinicians skill and lab support is important and what makes the difference between a cheaper and a coslier dentist)
5. In case of implants. Is there any risk infection, since the duration of treatment is long, Though we keep eating antibiotics and better clinical environment. Can not guarantee. Alos post implant what is risk in develoing infection in percentage?
- Antibiotics are usually not required for long period, just need them for 5-7 days at the time of implant placement. Normal brushing, flossing and regular checkup suffices in most cases. The chances of infection are usually low. As i said, 90% success at 10 yrs.
6. In Implants, will there bad breathe?
- Shouldnt be a problem in most cases. more