Cashing out my EPF

I worked in India (Kolkata, Bangalore, Chennai and Hyderabad) between 2002 - 2009. Since 2009, I have moved to US, become a US citizen and settled in US permanently.

Does anyone know how to claim the full EPF balance back and move the money over to US? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sugato Chattopadhyay more  

View all 7 comments Below 7 comments
OAnswer to your Question is yes, you can claim for your EPF money. To withdraw your EPF on retirement / leaving the job / termination: You will need Form 19. Forms and related information is available on website of organasation. In your case, you clearly mention in your claim Form that you shifted to US and you can be contacted on mail (or you can give your local mobile number of your nearest relative who knows all details).
I am reproducing my previous comments. I hope this will find use full to you and other interested members:
Did you shift jobs a few years ago and neglect to transfer your EPF funds? Well, if procedural hassles or simply not knowing what to do, is your problem, you need to act fast. The Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) recently launched an online helpdesk to help members with such “dormant” accounts trace the unclaimed sums and either credit it to their current accounts or withdraw it.
If you needed a harder push, note that in his recent Budget speech, Arun Jaitley has proposed to appropriate amounts lying dormant in both EPF and PPF (public provident fund) for the creation of a Senior Citizen Welfare Fund.
Once these sums are appropriated for this purpose, you are unlikely to ever get it back.
The EPF Procedure

An inoperative EPF account is one where there has been no contribution for a period of 36 months. No interest is paid on such dormant accounts. To reclaim money lying dormant in EPF accounts, you need to register for a Universal Account Number (UAN) with the EPFO if you don’t have one already. You can do this at
Log into the EPFO website at The facility to track down your EPF is available on the home page. The form you need to fill requires you to first describe the nature of the reasons behind your PF account being rendered inoperative and the help solicited from the EPFO.
You then have to fill the details of your employment. This includes the establishment code (in case you don’t know it, rest assured; there is a facility to search for the code), your PF account number, the establishment’s name and address with all the related details.
You should also provide details such as your date of joining and leaving and the name of the PF office where the contributions would have been made. You can leave fields blank if you don’t have the necessary information. Once done, you will receive a reference number, which you should note down. It would better if the claim Form routed through your last Employer. Advance copy be forwarded to EPF office.
If your money is traced thereafter, the help desk will guide you on the way forward in transferring the amount lying in your inoperative account to your current one, or even withdraw the money using the relevant claim form. A representative from the EPFO will get in touch with you personally, and in the language of your choice to boot. The EPFO even has a web facility to help transfer old account dues to existing accounts.
A few points are worth noting here. First, in order to get the benefit out of this facility, it’s essential that you provide correct contact details and email address and only your own mobile number. This last one is so that the EPFO may easily contact you.
Second, in case there is no response on the registered mobile, the case will be closed.
"More Sharing Services Share | Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email Share on print" more  
Irrespective of it work place and firm, so long as u hold of and the corresponding number u can claim. All that is proper forms to be submitted. Pls check whether it four or five pf nos are consolidated with central office in Delhi. more  
Definitely, by above method, you would be able to get credited money to your Indian account, but that would be non-repatriable. more  
Your ex-employer has to write to the concerned RPF Commissioner along with Annexure 'K' and send a Demand Draft for the PF accumulations credited by your Ex-Orgn. Your ex-employer will send you a copy of the Annexure "K". For Final Withdrawal of the entire PF money for service rendered bet. 2002-2009, you will have to fill in Form 10C and Form 19. I am sure this will be available on their website. Send all these with any other documents required documents / a cancelled cheque, etc. from your side to your ex-employer. They will verify all forms and forward it to the concerned RPF Commissioner's Office. RPFO will take their own sweet- long time to process the case (perhaps 2-3 yrs.); RPFO may once again send the Area Enforcement Officer to your Ex- Orgn. verify and confirm details. Good Luck to you. A LONG WAIT And YOU WILL NEED A LOT OF PATIENCE - YOU WILL BE WADDLING THRO' AN OCEAN. OR perhaps be prepared to pay a fat sum as bribe to get things done at RPFO. more  
Thank you Mr. Kumar and Mr. Chauhan. I will try it as you suggested. more  
Post a Comment

Related Posts

    • Change in pension withdrawal rules coming

      Soon, the EPFO will allow withdrawal of pension contribution only after 2 years of exiting from your previous job. Right now, pension sum can be withdrawn after 2 months of leaving a job.

      By Satvik Singh
    • EPF policies are disincentivising honest tax payer

      PF tax rules change from April. Employee contributions to PF above ₹ 2.5 lakh p.a. will be taxed.. So anyone who earns more than ₹20.83 lakhs p.a. will attract interest on EPF contribut...

      By Satvik Singh
    • How to access my forgotten FF Account

      I don't know my PF account number. I know my PAN and don't have any info about my OF account. How do I get my money from that account?

      By Ashish Patel
    • Proposal to tax PF contribution over a certain limit is retrograde

      The 2021-22 Budget is notable for not imposing fresh taxes, but for one clause lurking in its fineprint. This is the plan to withdraw the tax exemption on the interest income earned by employees&rs...

      By Satvik Singh
    • EPF interest payout

      did anyone receive interest of EPF for the year 2019/2020 in EPF passbook . Last heard it was supposed to be credited by 31st Dec 2021

      By Prasanna Pandapkp
    • PF TDS Deduction

      Hello there. Is it true that if the PF account is settled within 5 years, then TDS gets deducted from it? I had settled my PF account within (I suppose) 5 years mentioning that I am going abroad an...

      By Suhail Sayed
    • Good news on EPFO front

      EPFO to give interest rate of 8.5% to its subscribers for 2019-20 at one go. Proposal pending before the finance ministry. The current bull market prompted the EPFO to offload its equit...

      By Satvik Singh
    • Interest for 19-20

      Has anybody received Interest for 2019-20 credited in their account? News said 8.15% would be credited by Diwali but I couldn't see anything in my account.

      By Shibdas Mallick
    • Inoperative account of PF

      I have a company PF which I left 2010 and I didn't claim the PF amount. As gone thru EPFO website I got to know that my account will under inoperative account. I have sent composite claim form (Non...

      By Punitha M
    • PF fund withdrawal after retirement - Age 59

      I submitted PF withdrawal form when I took retirement from the Pvt employer and I received majority of the PF balance - employer contribution as well as my contribution. I applied after ...

      By Ajit Shah
    • Senior Citizens

      Govt. is only to extract taxes for its leaders. Senior Citizens get concessional or free welfare measures in a welfare state. Ours is a leaders govt. for its own welfare. Revenue hardly meets its l...

      By Vijay Agarwal
Enter your email and mobile number and we will send you the instructions

Note - The email can sometime gets delivered to the spam folder, so the instruction will be send to your mobile as well

All My Circles
Invite to
(Maximum 500 email ids allowed.)