Herbal Pain Killers Pain is defined as an unpleasant sensory perception associated with any damage to the underlying tissue. A signal is received by the brain through the nerves that makes the body experience this unpleasant feeling-’Pain’. Pain may be chronic, fleeting or acute (come and go) type. We spend so much to get rid of pain with those popular painkillers. Rising dependency to these western medicine has increased the risk of its dangerous side effects and addiction too. Many people due to these issues are looking for alternative herbal therapies. Natural painkillers are friendly to our body systems and very effective, very few know about it. Lets learn about Top six herbs used as pain killers from Gods own pharmacy.
1. Ginger (Zingiber officinale) : Forget those aspirin and big pharma pills, according to latest studies published in Journal of Pain, published by the American Pain Society, daily doses of raw or dried ginger effectively relieve muscle and joint aches and discomfort of all types.Helps treating Arthritis, abdominal cramps etc ginger appears to have anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties similar to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, but without the side effects (which can include gastrointestinal bleeding and ulcers). Ginger eases muscle and joint pain, swelling and stiffness up to 63% in just 2 months. ‘Gingerol’, a potent compound in ginger help prevent production of pain triggering hormones. Daily recommended dose is about 1-2 teaspoons chopped ginger or 1 teaspoon of dried ginger for best results.
2. Turmeric (Curcuma longa) : Studies have proved that turmeric is three times more effective at easing pain than aspirin, ibuprofen or naproxen. It helps in relieving pain for 50% people struggling with arthritis and even fibromyalgia. Active ingredient ‘Curcumin’, naturally blocks cyclooxygenase, an enzyme that is linked to production of pain hormones. ‘Curcumin’ and ‘Curcuminoids’ present in turmeric act to reduce the inflammation by inhibiting prostaglandins linked to produce inflammation in arthritis.
3. Andrographis (Andrographis paniculata) : One of the Siddha herbs used in pain management. Treats Viral infection, swellings, fever, liver ailments, arthritis and other vatha ailments. Study reveals that active constituent ‘Andrographolide’ present in the herb is responsible for its analgesic, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory action. Both fresh and dried plant is used medicinally. Whole plant( Fresh or dried), crushed and prepared as infusion and taken daily in dose of 60-80 ml twice daily.
4. Indian Ginseng (Withania somnifera) : Effective against pain and swellings. Plant extract during studies and research has shown lowering of nitric oxide in inflammed tissues which led to decrease in pain and swelling. Not only a rejuvenator, nervine tonic, aphrodisiac, this herb has many uses which can treat multiple problems easily. Compound ‘Withanolides’ present in roots helps to relax the blood vessel, improve circulation and relieve pain in arthritis patients.Another compound ‘Phenyl butazone’ has positive effects in reducing inflammation. Due to these properties this herb is Widely used in treatment of pains involving low back or as seen in sciatica, arthritis etc.
5. Clove (Syzygium aromaticum) : Historically used as an antiseptic and analgesic. A natural pain killer particularly for dental/gum problem. To ease tooth ache clove oil is used. Else clove can be put one in your mouth, slowly push the juice extracted from it, then push it towards the tooth, which gives you the most pain and slowly pain will decrease . Cloves helps to relieve abdominal cramps, nerve/back pain, respiratory problems etc. Also added to massage oils to ease arthritis and muscle pain. ‘Eugenol’ and Beta- carophyllene’ are active compounds in clove that inhibit prostaglandins and thereby suppress the pain sensory receptors.
6. Cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum) : Antispasmodic in nature, relieves spasm and cramps seen in abdomen due to indigestion or IBS, clears congestion in respiratory problems. Muscle pain, joint pain, inflammed back, swollen joints can be treated with this herb due to its Anodyne property. Best source of ‘Cineole’ which calms nerves and clears head.
Advantages of Natural pain killers over chemical analgesics are many. Most important of them is its safety and efficacy without any side effects. Secondly can be continued as long as needed. One can easily afford them without much expense. A single herb gives so many other benefits.So why to think more, consult a qualified practitioner and plan your medicines. No more suffering from the nasty side effects of those high dose pain killers. Believe in nature, herbs are just enough. more
Very useful circulation sir. However, I had read and heard from many people that cloves used by ladies during their difficult days cause more of bleeding and hence have to be careful in dosages. Some of these natural ayurvedic home remedies can cause problems if self administered vigorously.
They need to be monitored and studied as well.
As far as ginger, lehsun, turmeric, cardmom etc are concerned, there is no doubt in the efficacy of these. Our mother have been giving these to all of us when we were children. Now times have changed.
Ginger, lehsun, turmeric - while they are irreplaceable in these sever conditions, they also help keep the stomach clean, thus indirectly help keep away body odour, and also help generate good feed for the babies from lactating mothers.
Thanks sir. more