Regular, brisk exercise of any kind can improve confidence, stamina, energy, weight control and life expectancy and reduce stress.
It can also reduce the risk of coronary heart disease, strokes, diabetes, high blood pressure, bowel cancer and osteoporosis.
Scientific studies have also shown that walking, besides its physical benefits, is also beneficial for the mind, improving memory skills, learning ability, concentration and abstract reasoning, as well as reducing stress and lifting spirits. Sustained walking sessions for a minimum period of thirty to sixty minutes a day, five days a week, with the correct walking posture,reduce health risks and have various overall health benefits,such as reducing the chances of cancer, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, anxiety and depression.
Life expectancy is also increased even for individuals suffering from obesity or high blood pressure. Walking also improves bone health, especially strengthening the hip bone, and lowering the more harmful low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, and raising the more useful good high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol. Studies have found that walking may also help prevent dementia and Alzheimer's more
1. Early morning walking is most useful.
2. If time does not permit 30-60 minutes walking at a time, it can be divided in morning & evening walk.
3. Empty stomach walk is more useful.
4. Do not talk while walking. Concentrate on your breath and try deep breathing aligning your breath with a foot forward with brisk walking gradually.
5. Walking in parks, gardens, green fields is more useful due to clean air for health purpose. Avoid walking in congested and commercial places for good health.
6. For better health take lukewarm water with few lemon drops & honey (no honey for diabetic people). If suffering from acidity or ulcers, take coconut water.
7. People suffering from high blood pressure, arthritis, joint pains and senior citizens should not walk in cold weather without adequate protection by clothes for cold weather or walk a little later in morning and little before in evening to avoid cold.
8. Yoga & Pranayama are more effective after walk.
9. If you believe in mantras, mentally recite them without speaking, sound with closed lips during walk. You can also remember and thank your God, parent, friends, well wishers during the walk.
10. Greet people with smile while walking, raising your hands. Do not stop or do hand shake unless necessary. more