10 GOLDEN RULES TO PROTECT YOUR BONES.
1. Yes, you guessed it - Physical activity.
Physical activity, besides being the best thing you can do for yourselves, helps the bones become denser by putting pressure on them, which may prevent the disease to begin with. We recommend using weights.
2. Increase your calcium intake -
Good sources: Green leaves, soy, sardines, broccoli and nuts. Regular bovine milk isn't that good a source of calcium because of its low absorption rate.
3. Increase your omega 3 intake - These fatty acids can be found in flax seeds of fish: Salmon, cod, and halibut - and are essential to keeping your bones strong.
4. Reduce caffeine and alcohol intake - Sorry, but coffee and alcohol 'release' calcium from the bones and damage the hormonal balance in the body important to keep them strong.
5. Reduce red meat - Seems like we're taking all the fun out of lunch, but eating red meat actually reduces the absorption of calcium in the body.
6. No smoking - Cigarette smoke damages bone density.
7. Eat nuts and almonds - These contain magnesium which is essential to the process of absorbing calcium.
8. Get at least 15 minutes of sun exposure a day - Exposing your skin to the sun a few minutes a day is the best way of getting your vitamin D, which function as a sort of glue and helps keep the bone density up.
9. Eat sunflower seeds - Contain zinc, a key mineral for maintaining strong bones.
10. Make sure you're not lacking in these elements, and take according to professional opinion: Boron, Silicone, vitamin C, vitamin D, calcium, magnesium, vitamin B12, vitamin B6 and folic acid. more