Assam Medical College
Assam Medical College, Dibrugarh is one of the premier and oldest medical institutes of the NE region of India. British Philanthropist Sir John Berry White, a retired brigadier of British army and later the civil surgeon of the erstwhile Lakhimpur district in 1870, contributed his lifetime earning of Rupees Fifty Thousand (present day valuation is more than 50 million of rupees) to establish his brain child “Berry White Medical School” in 1900 AD. This school heralded the beginning of Allopathic Medical Education by conferring LMP Diploma in old undivided Assam. In 1938, the Assam Branch of Licentiate Medical Practitioner in its annual meeting under the chairmanship of Lokapriya Gopinath Bordoloi, the then premier of the Congress Govt. of Assam decided to upgrade the Berry White Medical School to a full fledged Medical College, Assam Medical College, Dibrugarh was established in 3rd November 1947, in the erstwhile US Military hospital of the second world war at Borbari, Dibrugarh through a process of up-gradation of Berry White Medical School immediately after independence, inaugurated formally by First chief Minister of Assam, Late Lokopriya Gopinath Bordoloi. The admission of the first batch of students was completed in September 1947 with 6 seats.
- AT Road
- Assam Medical College, Dibrugarh, Assam, India, Asia
Assam Medical College is doing a commendable job serving the people of Upper Assam, parts of Arunachal Pradesh and Nagaland since Berry White established this in 1870. Many of its graduates are succesfully working in India and abroad.
Assam Medical College (Assamese: অসম চিকিৎসা মহাবিদ্যালয়) is an educational institution in Dibrugarh, Assam, India. It was the first medical college in north-eastern India. It is the tertiary medical referral centre for upper Assam and areas in neighbouring states, including Arunachal Pradesh.