Tax advice required

1. The age of my wife Mrs. Madhu Dhal is of 67 years (born 1945). We shifted from Agra in October 2012 due to my illness, now residing in NOIDA.
2. Till March 2013, she was getting FD interest, below tax limit, from bank but tax was deducted and Form 16A was issued. How can she apply for refund?
3. In 2013-14, she sold her house and opened another FD in the same bank which will give taxable interest; hence she will file the return and needs advice. She also wants to know if there is any deductable exp. From tax, such as expenses on my illness and household exp. Etc. Thanks.

Dharam Vir Dhal - Mobile No. 08373932295 more  

View all 6 comments Below 6 comments
sorry for typing error, please read " difference is sale price and indexed cost price is the capital gains more  
Dear sir,

As i see your query i thought you was not filling ITR in previous year.
so file ITR and get Refund.

Atul Sharma more  
If your wife sold a house then first thing is to fix the indexation value as on the date of sale with respect to date of purchase or construction. after indexation the difference in cost and indexed price is the real income of capital gains on which 20% tax is applicable. But if your wife invests this income in another house then no tax, otherwise in 3yrs capital gains bonds of REC/NTPC or 5yrs capital gains special FD of bank you get exemption from capital gains but the interest on that FD is again taxable. more  
Dear Sir,

Just a small correction what i intended by that comment was to point how he
could plan his taxes better before March 31, 2014 or within the time frame
that you also recognised two year after such transfer or three years in
case of construction. I started with the overall exemption limit to inform
him of the slab he would fall in.Sometimes lay people want to start with
how much they can deduct.Before going technical on how capital gains is
calculated, I thought it fit to inform him in that direction.

Besides I was mentioning that in case it is a long term FD it would be
deducted from taxable income under Section 80C specified contributions upto
Rs 1 lakh. I have not yet dealt with the issue of interest, as he did not
ask it. But point taken that it should have been mentioned.(I did not know
the date of sale or reinvestment into Fixed deposit) His query on interest
being taxed was for the previous year. I think you got me wrong. Besides I
am sure he cannot change the first FD with fresh infusion if it is long

Thanks and Regards,

Ashish Gosain. more  
proceeds from sale of immovable property attracts capital gains tax if not invested in immovable property again and within a specified time frame. such a reinvestment in immovable property does not attract capital gains tax and has no limitation slab.

But when you put the proceeds from the sale of immovable property into a bank FD and do not reinvest in immovable property within the time frame, you would not only have to pay capital gains tax but also tax on the interest earned from the FD in the bank.

The above is as per my knowledge and perhaps Mr. Ashish Gosain, being in the area of taxation or a CA could guide you better. more  
Post a Comment

Related Posts

    • Queries wrt IPPB account

      Hello everyone, Greetings! I just came to know about IPPB account, wherein I can trasfer funds to my PPF account online. However, I am confused with the concept and...

      By Shailey Goyal
    • Punjab Maharashtra CoOp Bank debacle - What next

      Most of you may be reading, listening to the news on Punjab Maharashtra Co-operative Bank’s failure and would broadly be aware as to how a co-operative bank ranking number four in the Coopera...

      By Shivaprasad Chhatre
    • SCSS

      As i understand the Senior Citizen Savings scheme is for the retired and 60yrs above. The total investment allowed is Rs 15 Lakhs per individual or Rs 30 lakhs for a couple. I came to know from the...

      By Puthucode Sundaram
    • Minimum Balance in Saving's Bank

      All Account holders must protest against Arbitrary fixing of Minimum Balance in Saving's Account by various banks. The Minimum Balance should not exceed more than ₹1000/(one thousand) in any a...

      By Devesh Singh

      What is Income Tax position for a person who is in Singapore for the last more than 3 years and has come to India in Sept 2019. What will be his IT position. Will he will be paying IT for full year...

      By D K GUPTA
    • PAN No. of unlisted co.

      CBDT should also revisit it's decision to file ITR with unlisted shares' holding list showing PAN No. of concerned Co. whereas Company Master Data page of MCA do not contain this PAN detail then fo...

      By G D Binani
    • CBDT: Thanks for providing Prefilled ITR Forms

      I want to place on record sincere thanks to CBDT for providing pre-filled ITR Forms under e-filing. This has simplified the process of filing IT Return and made it faster.

    • Tax, ITR filing, CA, Tax Payer, etc

      Most of the CA & firms who offer services related to ITR filing use the client credentials - is this the right practice?

      By Jai J
    • Please vote everyone if you want income tax filing deadline extended

      How are you positioned to be able to file your individual income tax return for FY 2018-19 by the July 31..

      By Aditi Jain
    • Things not good for wealthy

      After ydays budget Top tax payers now pay one of the highest taxes in the world with GST impact. But they are no where close in terms of quality of life, health benefits, social security. This is n...

      By Naveen Goel
    • Itr

      In such case of delay being normal, the government should make last date as 30 sept., in place of 31 July, so there is uniformity.

      By Hasmukh Sangani
Share To
Enter your email & mobile number and we will send you the instructions

Note - The email can sometime gets delivered to the spam folder, so the instruction will be send to your mobile as well

Please select a Circle that you want people to invite to.
Invite to
(Maximum 500 email ids allowed.)