Legal Opinion

I would like legal opinion on a serious matter: A lady I know, now very elderly, had an acrimonious divorce from her husband in her youth.She has one son and at that time of impetiousness, wanted NOTHING from the man she was divorcing and only wanted her son. Thus for years there was no had not been asked for, nor offered.
However, when the boy turned 12, it was clear that his psyche had been affected and he became a schizophreniac. At first there was an attempt to reach out to the Father, to assist the Mother in managing this difficut situation.But it did not work out and finally she was left to her own devices.Having exhausted all her wealth and savings in treatment for this son, who is now a man of 54, while she herself is eighty....I was wondering whether there was any provision under the Law, whereby the Court could appoint a legal Guardian to see that this boy, now a midle-aged man, would get some rights to support from the Father if his Mother were to pass away? Or, if the father, who is even more elderly, but a man of means, and has no other issue, (although he is married to a lady from New Zealand,) should pass away, could this Guardian secure this boy some financial and property rights? Otherwise he is doomed to a terrible life of extreme penury.It does not seem right to have the Father go totally scot free,as it has been his Mother alone, who has diligently cared for him for fifty-four years, who has suffered extreme stress on account of his malady, with no succour nor relief on the part of the Father, and who is now in a critical state on account of her age, failing health and lack of funds, ...although it is true, she foolishly reliquinshed all her rights to support for herself and the son at the time of Divorce. Never-the-less, as the child had no part to play in the break up of his home and that his malady was no fault of his, surely there is some law that now, at least, the Father should be made responsible for his present and future welfare? I would be grateful to have a legal opinion and advice on this sad matter. more  

Please file Civil Wrtit Petition in Delhi High Court, if matter relates to Delhi. more  
Thank you Mr.Tripathi.
Now I will have to look into the financial aspects of what it would cost to engage a lawyer and where one should the High Court, for Family Court or to Patiala House?
Please guide. more  
Mme, My advice is the same which I have given yesterday. In any case proceedings has to be initiated by that lady only on behalf of her son and every ponit will have to be placed before the court. I am of the considred opinion the lady should file a civil writ petition in the concerned High Court. Reason is three fold. First it will take very less time. Second the lady won't have to appear on every date and presence of the advocate is enough. Above all, the High Court will definitely be sympathetic towatds the son. more  
Thank you very much Mr.Tripathi.The information you have given is very useful.It is true the Mother is alive, but the struggle of Life has worn her down.She is now eighty years old and frail.It has been very hard going looking after a schisophrenic personality.This is the time for her to be served, not for her to keep serving as she is doing now and has been doing for fifty-five years....It is a pitiable situation. Yes, you are right, she had no business to deprive the son of his rights, but youth is foolhardy, impatient and impetious. She has paid heavily for her lack of foresight. Anyhow, it is very unfair to dump the responsibility on her relatives, when they themselves, are no longer young.Would it not be possible for the Court to demand that the Father settle a decent allowance on him , on account of his disability and inability to earn a livlihood, for the rest of his life, so that he can live wih some dignity...and be responsible, after the Mother has gone, to give his son, shelter and care?
Please advise. more  
Dear Mme
Thanks for showing concern for the lady and her son. From the averments made by you I assume that the said son is not of sound mind. First thing her mother had no right to forego/waive off/reliquinsh the rights of the son despite a settelment signed by her at the time of his minority. His rights are intact even today. Therefore her mother can file on his behalf cases u/s 125 Cr. P. C. or Hindu Guardianship & Maintenance Act for financial support. The court has powers to grant even cost of litigation including advocate's fee. His mother can also file on his behalf for his share of the ancestral property by filing suit for partition.

Even a civil writ petition in the concerned High Court can also be file for financial support under Article 226 of the Constitution of India..

There is no need to appoint any guardian as his mother is alive. After her death a relative or a neighbour can approach the concerned District Judge for appointment of a guardian.

S. B. TRipathi. Advocate more  
Post a Comment

Related Posts

    • Query on PMAY

      Hi All, I have bought a new flat in Bangalore with my mother as a co-owner. She is a homemaker and do not have any property registered in her name. When i was applying for Home loan initially ...

      By Anonymous Circle member
    • the decisions of Supreme courts Our top court in India

      As we all know in our India Supreme court is supreme of all courts and it is safe guarding our consitution and to provisions provided to the citizens of India. But in recent past days the Supreme C...

      By VIJAY VK
    • Correction in my Khatauni

      I inherited a house constructed in 1968 by my late father in my name in main city and yellow card is issued by Nagar Nigam. House Tax and Water tax are being paid regularly . I wanted to sell my ...

    • Legal Heir Certificate

      Would like to know about Legal Heir Certificate. I am told that it is to be obtained after the demise of one's parent. Won't it be better if the Parent can declare his legal heir whil...

      By Chandrasekhar K
    • Advise for land locked agriculture land

      My 11 bigha land was occupied in 1982 by Government of UP for constructing PAC compound at Barabanki .Now my land is land locked and there is no approach to main road. Being a Senior citizen ,may I...

    • Date of birth difference between primary and secondary school due to clerical mistake

      my date of birth in matric certificate issued by the board is May 1962 which I surrender at the time of joining job as per this my retirement is in May 2020 but it come to my notice few days back ...

      By Anonymous Circle member
    • legal hairs are liable to pay damage for civil suit of their parents?

      Sir, is there any law under IPC which says that legal hair have to pay to the respondending party if their parent expires during the course of legal suit? my mother filed a civil suit against ...

      By Iqbal Singh
    • GST for flat booked before April 2019

      I have booked a flat under construction in Hyderabad in June 2018 with a promise it would be delivered by Sep 18. But the builder got OC only in April 2019. Out of 45 flats to this date only 16 ha...

      By Anonymous Circle member
    • Why does government of India want to put cookies on our computers????????

      I tried to visit and access a particular SRO but could not because a pop up always came up whenever I tried to access "S...

      By Anil Kumar Singh
    • Dispute in Residential Project..Confusion on Suggested Solution

      Reframed last post to make it more clear. This post have better details of dispute and solution : a) Residential Project spread on PlotA, PlotB registered as Phase1 A/B/C buildings ...

      By Naresh Yadav
    • Request your help and wealth of knowledge on Legal Matters

      I filed a SLP in the year 2015 before the Hon'ble Supreme Court of India against at Criminal Petition which was against me. The SLP was filed by me online as party in person. I was infor...

      By Anil Kumar Singh
Enter your email & mobile number and we will send you the instructions

Note - The email can sometime gets delivered to the spam folder, so the instruction will be send to your mobile as well

Please select a Circle that you want people to invite to.
Invite to
(Maximum 500 email ids allowed.)