10 REASONS FOR ROAD ACCIDENTS
1. Bad roads. 20%
2. Lack of implementation of road rules. 20%
3. Lack of discipline & considerations on the roads 15%
4. Impatience and Rash driving due to late for work. 8% . Nowadays latecomers in offices are penalised.
5. Lack of proper training & knowledge of road signs and driving methods. 10%
6. Obstructions on the roads due to haphazard parking, hawkers on the roads, shops storage spilling on the roads, construction & roadwork, cattle movement. 10%
7. Malfunctioning & not functioning of the traffic lights & non-observance of signals. 5%
8. Drivers & Passengers not following adequate safety measures.5%
9. Inadequate lighting of roads in the night 4%
10. Distractions such as posters, hoardings, advertisement boards etc. 3%.
While I appreciate the efforts of Mr.Nitin Gadkari, Minister for Road & Highways, it is doubtful if the recent steep increases in fine amounts have done any good at all. The duties of Traffic Police seem to be more to increase or meet their targets for revenue collections rather than bring some order on the roads. Navigating on Inter-city traffic and roads continue to be a nightmare for the people. more