How can India Clean at Night: Action Needed and Inputs
How can India Clean at Night:
1. Municipal workers could be deployed in shifts like in other industries
2. Modern equipment should be bought to assist in increasing worker efficiency
3. Workers who do the night shift should be given special allowances
4. This process will also optimize utilization of collection resources, with faster collection and transfer
5. The home dustbins could just be kept outside the house at nights for the municipality to clear them
6. The process should be divided in two parts:
i. Cleaning group in Night Time (before 5 am)
ii. Observer & Inspection group inspection before 8.00 am Day time
7. If public reports garbage anywhere in city after 8.00 am then Observer & Inspection group should be held responsible
8. Night shifts should be on a rotational basis
9. Private companies could be hired to assist the Municipality at nights
10. There will be no traffic problems due to garbage collection trucks
11. Home cleaning could be conducted in the second half of the day between 1 pm - 8 pm and place garbage out at night.
12. Offices could clean post closure starting 7/8 pm and place garbage out by 10 pm.
Here are some things that will have to be considered in the implementation:
1. Non-availability of street lights at night in many places
2. Supervising and controlling the workers could be an issue
3. Attitude of officials - Resistance to a new process as it requires deviation from existing routine. Also, it involves night working for some workers
4. Attitude of people - Hard to adopt a new system. At present household garbage is taken away in the forenoon. In new system, garbage will go out at night
5. Households that employ individual part or full time help for cleaning will have to ensure that cleaner is able to adjust their schedule and work from 1-8 pm timings. more
Excellent idea. Earlier the effective implementation, better it is.
Today I was discussing with my friends and relatives in great detail about the cleanliness and hygiene in our country vis a vis other advanced countries.
Beginning from the municipal cleaning authorities, all utilities, and public, if every one just co operates and makes his own effort that he/she will avoid making any part of the nation dirty, filthy, or unhygienic, the problem is resolved with little or no extra expenditure. Only conscious effort by every one.
If we can do this, and in the opinion of former US President Barak Obama, "Yes, we can", the nation's average life expectancy will leap frog to another ten (10) years at least.
Everyone will be rewarded by the mother nature. more